MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am a complete mini noob and I’m looking for advice really.
I bought my first mini today, a 2005 mini cooper, which I bought privately. It was advertised as having Air Conditioning, which only once getting it home I realized it hadn’t. Doh. I rang the Guy that I bought it from to discuss, he said he genuinely thought it did have air – con, and would give back 200 pounds of what I paid him. I am obviously not happy with the amount, but really don’t know what a fair amount is.
What should the price difference be on the same car, with and without air – con? I also found that the remote boot release doesn’t work, and the brake pad light has come on (typical, waited till I got home to do it) I paid 7650 and the car has done 50,000 miles, has a chili pack, and panoramic sunroof. So long story short, what should I ask for as compensation, or should I try and return the car?

Thanks for any help
Laura

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Hmm, thats a difficult one, specially as you've bought it privately!

How can you not know if its got air-con or not though?! (I mean the person you bought it off!) :puzzled:

·
Oh good grief!
5,277 Posts
If you know someone in the motor trade I'd get them to give your car a once over before going any further, just in case it throws up any more horrors!

I's be very cautious of anyone that doesnt know if it's got air-con or not. He's either not had the car very long himself and passing it on for a quick sale or just playing dumb.

Either way I'd get some professional advice and get someone to go with you if you have any further dealings with this person! ;)

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
:red::red::red::)

If it was me I would return the car.
My i understanding is that if the car has the CHILLI pack it should have Aircon. Therefor no aircon no chili pack. Sounds VERY suspect to me.:aargh:
I thought that the chilli pack had Air-Con:confused:
I think the Cooper CHILI pack on 1st gen MINIs didnt have air-con included, but the Cooper S CHILI pack did.

All MINIs with a CHILI pack on 2nd gen MINIs will have at least Manual air-con included.

I think thats right :)

·
T o t a l m i n i . c o m
4,467 Posts
I think the Cooper CHILI pack on 1st gen MINIs didnt have air-con included, but the Cooper S CHILI pack did.

All MINIs with a CHILI pack on 2nd gen MINIs will have at least Manual air-con included.

I think thats right :)
Yeah you could be right, just old Cooper had air-con and that had a chilli pack:D
but Baron's never listed the Air-con as a extra on top of that pack:confused:

·
Mini Madness
341 Posts
BTW, the remote boot release button is only to unlock the boot independantly of the other doors - you still have to open the tailgate as normal, but when you slam it shut the car automatically relocks. The tailgate will not spring open on the remote control.

Chris

Reactions: Lau

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW, the remote boot release button is only to unlock the boot independantly of the other doors - you still have to open the tailgate as normal, but when you slam it shut the car automatically relocks. The tailgate will not spring open on the remote control.

Chris
Ok, hadn't realised that, assumed it actually popped the boot open rather than just unlocking it.
If I had known about the air - con, or lack of it, I may have thought twice about buying it, but when it's sitting out on my driveway, it's harder to make a decision about what to do.
Returning it may be the best idea (assuming I have no problems with the owner doing this)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Our 52 Cooper has a chili pack and that had manual air-con included
I am clearly no expert, but from what I gather only first gen cooper s's come with aircon as part of the chili pack, coopers do not.
It was stated in the advert, and I double checked with the guy that it had aircon. I assumed it was an extra on top of the chili pack.

Anyone have any more thoughts on the monetary value of air - con?

Laura

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am clearly no expert, but from what I gather only first gen cooper s's come with aircon as part of the chili pack, coopers do not.
It was stated in the advert, and I double checked with the guy that it had aircon. I assumed it was an extra on top of the chili pack.

Anyone have any more thoughts on the monetary value of air - con?

Laura

Aircon was a £600 pound option on the facelift Cooper...not sure of pre sorry. The only problem I see is when you buy a car privately its sold as seen. I would count yourself lucky to get some money back on the air con.

Chilli pack also came with 16" wheels and part leather seats...does it have any of these?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, now I am confused. It has everything else that a chili pack has, half leather etc. Thought pre 2006 (1st gen) didnt have aircon with chili. :confused::confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so problems with the chili pack, all is as it should be, and the boot release seems to also be working as it should. So, only question that still remains is that it is not as advertised, so what is air - con worth?

Laura

1 - 20 of 28 Posts