MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I am going to be investing in a scanguage in the near future can you tell me what you consider the "normal" readings to be and the "upper safe" limits should be for a MCS for the following items :

Coolant Temperature
Intake Air Temperature
Boost [ Manifold Pressure ]

Is there anything else that the scanguage can measure which has a "normal" and upper safe limit reading which would be sensible to watch out for?

Cheers

Perm

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
I started a similar thread but didn't get many responses:
My observations ...

WT (Water Temperature)

According to the Scangauge users manual:
A vehicle with a 50/50 mix of coolant and water will not boil over until about 265F (129C) at sea level. This will be reduced at higher elevations.
When highway cruising my MCS runs 195F - 200F (90C - 93C). In stop and go traffic it runs over 200F. The radiator fan will come once it exceeds 220F (104C).

IAT (Intake Air Temperature)

When highway cruising my MCS runs less than 10F (-12C) over ambient ... 3F (-16) over being the lowest I've seen.

MAP (Manifold Air Pressure)

I've programmed an XGauge to show actual Boost but don't pay much attention to it as you need to be at WOT and have someone else read it.

VLT (Battery Voltage)

According to the Scangauge users manual:
Normal running battery voltage is between 13 and 15. When the engine is off it should be between 11 and 13. Voltages higher than 15 volts can damage batteries and electrical components. Voltages below 13 when the vehicle is running could indicate poor charging of the battery. Voltage below 11 when the engine is off could indicate a low battery charge or a shorted battery cell.
My battery registers 13.6 - 14.0 volts when on depending how many accessories (lights, A/C) are in use and about 12 volts when off.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
many thanks.
Good to have a base line to compare my numbers against.

Any one else have any figures?

Perm

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting thread; I'm contemplating a ScanGauge as well. The other thing I'm considering is the PLXDevices DM-200 60mm Gauge, which uses the OBD port as well:
PLX Devices Inc. - DM-200 OBD II 60mm Universal Gauge

Can I ask where you have mounted the ScanGauge? It's nice and small, but would like to learn where you find a safe location to mount it. I ran across this GPS mount that offers different mounting adapters... if I get a ScanGauge, I'm tempted to use this in combination:
KUDA mount and holder MINI - MINI COOPER (02-06)
(there are two pics, its the bottommost one)

thanks for any suggestions or perspectives!

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Can I ask where you have mounted the ScanGauge?
The Scangauge comes with velcro mounting strips and the most common mounting locations in a 1st Gen MINI are on the bottom of the toggle switch panel or on top of the dash.

There is already a thread on this topic (which shows some different mounting locations), so let's please post there rather than side-track this thread:

·
Supercharger Noiseaholic
186 Posts
Don't discount the Dash-Dyno either, it does PC Pass-through, but it also does logging, so you can drive and then look when you get back.
You can also plug in a wideband lambda sensor to give you AFR.
And GPS so you can log it onto google earth :)

Ebay is the best place to get them from.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts