MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying for months to get an insurance quote in Canada (Toronto). Still no luck today and only 6+ weeks until I pickup my Canadian Launch Cooper ! So, let's see if any of you other Canadian and US folks can get one. Knowing that the VIN # seems to be the "key" in the UK, I have the VIN number of a real Cooper S (source cannot be revealed) sitting on a certain Toronto-area Mini dealer's back lot (probably a pre-production model) it is :

WMWRE33452TD50055

Can anyone use this with their insurance companies to see if it pulls up a quote?

Also, how about we try worldwide to reverse-engineer the VIN number content. I'm guessing Manufacturer (BMW?), Make (Mini), Model (One, Cooper, S), destination country, build year/week?, engineering revision #?, and individual serial #...let's all pool the VIN # of the Mini's we have to see if we can crack the code !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cracking the VIN code !!

Nick,

Here is a good start on cracking the VIN! :)

WMWRE33452TD50055

1st character - W - Identifies the country in which the vehicle was manufactured - Germany(W)

2nd character - M - Identifies the manufacturer - Mercury (!!!) sorry - that's what it says !! Must mean MINI !!

3rd character - W - Identifies vehicle type or manufacturing division

4th to 8th characters - RE334 - Identifies vehicle features such as body style, engine type, model, series, etc.

9th character - 5 - Identifies VIN accuracy as check digit

10th character - 2 - Identifies the model year - 2002(2)

11th character - T - Identifies the assembly plant for the vehicle

12th to 17th characters - D50055 - Identifies the sequence of the vehicle for production as it rolled off the manufacturer's assembly line.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Re: Cracking the VIN code !!

rj said:
....1st character - W - Identifies the country in which the vehicle was manufactured - Germany(W)
Germany? :eek: Since when is Oxford in Germany? :confused:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vin decompostion

rj...cool...where are you getting your data from? Maybe the UK has merged with Germany already and nobody told ton Blair? :D :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cracking the VIN

Nick - I found the VIN decoder surfing around last night - I didn't write down the site address - sorry !!

Regarding the 'W' indicating Germany...two thoughts on that issue...

1) It may be that the car noted above was a prototype assembled in Germany....however, a more logical explanation is:

2) For the past year or so, AFAIK, all Z3s and MZ3s (built for worldwide consumption in Spartanburg SC USA) carry a 'W' indicating Germany in position 1, rather than a 'U' designating the USA. This initially caused some consternation, but apparently BMW has gotten away with this country of manufacture discrepancy.

Further info on that VIN WMW RE33 4 5 2 T D50055:

The 'RE33' apparently refers to the model - in this case, a Cooper. Can any current Cooper owners confirm this ?

If this is indeed true, EVERY Cooper should have the 'RE33' in its VIN.

Could anyone with a MINI One supply their VIN so we can see if a One's VIN structure is different ?

Also - the '4' in the VIN apparently / possibly indicates the restraint system in place - in other words - and this is pure assumption here - perhaps the standard front and side airbags, and the Head Protection System.

Let's hear from some Cooper and One owners about their VINs !

·
Registered
350 Posts
insurance quote

I called my insurance company (USAA, the best!). They didn't have the MINI in their database yet, so the representative on the phone had to do some extra investigation. They gave me a preliminary quote, but warned that without a VIN, it could differ substantially from the actual price. Just for comparison purposes I got a quote for a Ford Focus ZX3, too. The prices were the same for the MINI and the Ford -- about US$1700 per year.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Re: insurance quote

Clutch Cargo said:
I called my insurance company (USAA, the best!). They didn't have the MINI in their database yet, so the representative on the phone had to do some extra investigation. They gave me a preliminary quote, but warned that without a VIN, it could differ substantially from the actual price. Just for comparison purposes I got a quote for a Ford Focus ZX3, too. The prices were the same for the MINI and the Ford -- about US$1700 per year.
Ouch!! :eek: :eek: :eek: That's really high........I don't think it will be nearly that much, at least not in my area (NYC may be different)

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Re: Cracking the VIN

I found the VIN decoder surfing around last night - I didn't write down the site address - sorry !!
Check out VIN Decoding Tips.

Further info on that VIN WMW RE33 4 5 2 T D50055:

The 'RE33' apparently refers to the model - in this case, a Cooper. Can any current Cooper owners confirm this ?

If this is indeed true, EVERY Cooper should have the 'RE33' in its VIN.

Could anyone with a MINI One supply their VIN so we can see if a One's VIN structure is different ?

I think the VIN is for an 'S'.

Click the thumbnail below for a Cooper VIN picture taken by MiniMoke at NAIAS:

The letter following WMWR is somewhat obstructed, but I believe it is a C.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My Liberty Mutual agent is still trying to get more info on the MINI. She said to get the insurance code on the car.
I compared it to an Acura RSX-S. That is a 16.
Approximately $1,700 in Long Island, NY terms.
Manhattan would be considerably more $$.
Outside NY I'm sure is less!
My 2000 BMW 323i is a 17.
The agent says "the car dealer should know the insurance code... if they are a good salesperson."
Ha! The MINI dealer doesn't even know about the car yet!(LOL):p

·
Registered
930 Posts
I highly doubt insurance companies (I'm with Nationwide) will have info until sometime next month when the Cooper goes on sale. You need a VIN

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Going Crazy...

But we've GOT a VIN...look above !!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
VINs

I was looking through MiniMoke's gallery, and came across a picture of a green S from the Detroit NAIAS with the following VIN:

WMW RE33 4 2 2 T D50062

Looks like that S was produced just a few units after the S discovered on a Toronto backlot as noted by Nick.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oooops !!

Miniac - I forgot to mention that I believe you are 110% accurate - that 'RE33' must indeed refer specifically to a Cooper S.

My wife drives an E46 BMW 3 series sedan, and the model codes differ among the various E46 models...for instance:

2002 M3 Coupes - BL93
2001 325 Sedans - AV33
2001 330 Sedans - AV53
2001 330 Coupes - BN53

and so on.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Re: Oooops !!

rj said:
Miniac - I forgot to mention that I believe you are 110% accurate - that 'RE33' must indeed refer specifically to a Cooper S.
Actually, RE3 alone identifies the Cooper S. The last '3' identifies the country specifications (USA).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is my insurance rate cheap ?

I am picking up my Mini Cooper tommorrow morning. Just called my State Farm agent. She charged me aroung $1,100 per year with $500 deductible. We have 3 cars insured with her right now. I guess that is why it is cheaper. However, I called Farmers Insurance, and they gave me about the same price. I have to go pay my insurance now. Otherwise, I can't drive my Mini out of the dealer tommorrow !

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
GEICO...$900 / year.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

rj said:
Nick - I found the VIN decoder surfing around last night - I didn't write down the site address - sorry !!

Regarding the 'W' indicating Germany...two thoughts on that issue...

1) It may be that the car noted above was a prototype assembled in Germany....however, a more logical explanation is:

2) For the past year or so, AFAIK, all Z3s and MZ3s (built for worldwide consumption in Spartanburg SC USA) carry a 'W' indicating Germany in position 1, rather than a 'U' designating the USA. This initially caused some consternation, but apparently BMW has gotten away with this country of manufacture discrepancy.

Does it maybe have to do with it being "manufactured" in germany but "assembled" in Oxford? I hear they "assemble" some porsches in Mexico? Although that seems pretty ubelievable.

--
Cheesse

·
Registered
106 Posts
Allstate $500 deductable 6months $540 policy.
(was paying $590 for V8 98 Taurus SHO - unitran direct give an anualpolicy for similar price to GEICO - not sure if i trust GEICO, heard rumours about renewls going high in second year ?)

·
Registered
527 Posts
If you're a USAA member, multiple-vehicle, $500 ded comp, clean record, low risk age/family status, you should be able to get by with under $700 per year.

·
Registered
527 Posts

Actually, you have to take the first three letters of the VIN as a group rather than individually. 'WMW' simply indicates BMW Motors, MINI Division.

Also, the number following 'RE3' (which indicates the model of the vehicle) is the country code for manufacturing specification. '3' indicates USA. Then the next number indicates restraint package.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts