MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
any body logged on to miniusa.com and had a look at the cost of cars and packages vs UK prices ????

how come USA gets cd player and boost as standard ??? i mean really who uses a casette these days anyway. this is robbery

also USA get a great premium pack at £1350 which incl Climate Control and Harmon Kardon Hi Fi , MF Steering Wheel, Cruise Control and lots of other things to boot ???? as the mini is built in UK why cant we have these options at same price ????? ( it is only built in the uk right ??? )

prices for individual extras are also much lower in the USA and there is nothing on the UK standard car that we get over the USA version

Also the leatherette option is also free ( vinyl ) but i seen this when I was in the usa and it looks good

As a thought....since us Brits are the biggest buyers why are we being ripped off like this.......time to start complaining

Any comments / explination would be appreciated

·
Registered
289 Posts
The level of specification is a disgrace. In Ireland a MINI One is almost € 22000, neither the CD, nor aircon, nor alloys are standard. A Fiat Punto comes with a CD Player and Alloys, and Aircon is low cost. To be honest, and this is my own personal opinion by the way, nothing else, they should increase the level of specification, not the cost.

I don't think it's even possible to buy cassettes anymore, yet on a youthful product such as MINI they keep a tape player bundled. CD Players are over 20 years old now, and to buy a CD Head unit as an aftermarket part is less than € 90 in some stores.

I firmly believe a petition should be made to MINI UK to include the following on all cars without increasing the price :

15" 5 Star Rocket Alloys
CD Player
Leather Steering Wheel
Passenger Airbag Deactivation

Having little items as these increase the 'livable' spec of the MINI, and make it easier to promote the brand.

Again, all my own personal views and not those of my employers.

Owen.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
It's the good old "Market Forces" argument. If people would stop buying damned MINIs the prices might come down or the spec go up... but then risiduals wil also suffer.

Damn them, they've got us either way.

:(

At least we get our MINIs quicker?

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Good old rip-off Britain! :rolleyes:

I see petrols gone up again (I know it's the oil prices, but they should drop the tax now!!)! :eek:

·
Back to the Fold
919 Posts
R1 said:
Good old rip-off Britain! :rolleyes:

I see petrols gone up again (I know it's the oil prices, but they should drop the tax now!!)! :eek:
just got back from gran canaria and the petrol price is something like 65 cents per litre which works out to around 50pence?!?!?! this is on island that has to import everything except fruit :D

So with this in mind the serious but sad decision has been made to purchase a property in either spain or france (or both :D ) and actually enjoy life for a change

·
Registered
700 Posts
Would the better prices over here in the states have something to do with the pound-U.S. dollar exchange rate?

The exchange rate is awful if you're trying to purchase Brit pounds with it. The pound is worth $1.79 US today, almost twice the rate of just a few years ago. Same with the Euro.

·
Registered
263 Posts
spec difference and cost difference

True, our price is lower - but don't forget all the taxes that are probably built into your prices. I recall something about us protesting high taxes one time or another :)

There are some things you UK buyers get that we don't...
EB on standard Cooper's
Diesel
Cloth/leather combo
Tinted glass
Chrome line exterior does not include chrome mirror caps (ours does)
Folding mirrors
Steptronic paddle-shifting
Our sports suspension plus costs more

So while the grass might be mostly greener on our side of the pond, it has some brown patches too (and no it's not doggy poo fertalizing the grass...).

Adam

·
Riding on JCW power!
367 Posts
I have an idea....................

I'm after a set of R90's and can't see why I can't order them from a Mini dealer in the US and get them shipped over.................I've just worked it out to be ~£600 cheaper even with £288 DHL shipping costs!! :)

it's crazy really

·
going or coming?
1,215 Posts
Didn't we just spend a long thread on this a while back?

No VAT included in U.S. Prices, Sales Tax, Vehicle Excise Tax, or what have you is added to the sales price.

Also, BMW is taking quite a hit on the weak $. They have made a decision not to increase the MINI price inthe US by very much for the last 2 years, while the $ is now what 25% weaker than it was before the Bush administation?

·
Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
We can't get the JCW seats over here :( Which is a shame because the standard cooper s seats are crap.

Luke

·
Welcome back...
1,435 Posts
Davislove3rd said:
forgot about all that Tax and import stuff.........maybe not
Add your 17.5% VAT to our prices and now we are starting to get on the same ground. We are also very picky, we expect certain things in our cars, you can thank Honda and Toyota for that. So with the bar upped, BMW made sure Mini was ready. However on the other end of things, certain car makers are still living in the 90's, some Fords and GM's still put Cassette decks standard in their cars.

As for price, to compete in the US Small car market, they had to make it on par with the other offerings. Now most of us who know what the Mini is, we don't care we will buy it no matter what. But for Joe Schmo who is ending his Honda lease, Mini has to be cheap enough for him to look at. Once test driven he is hooked and places an order. If the Mini was priced the same as it is over there, it wouldn't sell as well, no matter how much fun it is some people wouldn't buy it because of price. A good example of that is the Land Rover Freelander, it is kinda at the limit for the small SUV market, and at $32,000 it expensive concidering you can get the same in a Honda or Toyota for low to mid 20's. Land Rover had to lower the price by a couple of thousand to make it sell, and it did.

Also we have had 2 increases each new model year in 2003 and 2004, of about $450-500 each time. (I got my '04 as a December build so I lucked out and didn't have to pay this increase.)

While somethings are available here as standard options, we still wish we had some of the stuff available to you guys.

Winslow
:eb:

·
Now With More Cowbell
1,687 Posts
Inthe US, small cars are generally equated with "cheap cars". There is a cultural bias against small hatchbacks. Partly as a means of getting around this, I'm sure BMW opted to cram the extra airbags, A/C, CD player, etc etc into even the most humble spec of MINI just to make sure it could go toe-to-toe with offerings from Japan and America.

-CW

·
Looking for a Mini
23 Posts
Humourl3ss said:
Inthe US, small cars are generally equated with "cheap cars". There is a cultural bias against small hatchbacks. Partly as a means of getting around this, I'm sure BMW opted to cram the extra airbags, A/C, CD player, etc etc into even the most humble spec of MINI just to make sure it could go toe-to-toe with offerings from Japan and America.

-CW
Exactly for most Americans Small Car = Cheap and Gigantic Gas Guzzling H2 or Denali = Money. I hate that about this damn country.

And BTW H/K is not part of the premium pack in the US. It is a $550 option.

·
Themikanic
239 Posts
cost of Mini

OK guys lets look at this from an Aussie perspective. I ordered my 2005 MCS with Chilli options which includes HK & climate etc. here, also included in my order are the interior lighting pack, EB interior, chrome line interior & exterior, glass sunroof, extra guages at bottom of console, extra bumper mounted driving lights. Oh & JCW, which I guess is the icing on the cake. But I won't be looking at another car of any description for many years due to paying well over $65K here, which for me is little short of 2 years pay.
Mike (roll on 15th November)
PS here in Oz, probably cos there were so many Mini's here in the 60's & 70's a small car can also be seen as a premium quality car. :eb:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Paul Mullet: It's the good old "Market Forces" argument
I have read all of the posts and everyone has a valid argument.
I have come to the (opinion only) that the prices in the U.K. are inflated partially because the "Market Forces" in the U.S Car industry.
Mini keeps the U.S. prices low in this competative market and U.K buyers pay the higher prices to make up the difference. Not fair!!!! :mad:

·
Mini fan
28 Posts
Here (and I assume the US) the pricing of the mini is a function of its place in the market.

The mini here is represented as a small prestige car and competes against VW and the like. If the mini was not loaded with those sort of features as standard people would not even look at it. People buying cars in this category here would laugh at a car company telling them that a CD player was an option. A year ago my car was AUD40,000 on the road including all taxes and registration. This equates to about USD28K or GBP16K. Given my level of spec it sounds fairly comparable to what everyone else in the world is paying.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dear all

seems from the replies that americans are taking this personally :confused: . WELL DONT its simply an observation and you should not try to justify yourselves, its BMW who should be doing that :D

tax is tax, nothing we can do about it and that varies from country to country and state to state. BMW should have a clear price for the mini, with same spec and upgarde costs across the globe, ( by adding this and taking away that BMW think they are being clever so it makes it diffucult to compare like for like ) But clearly us Brits are being ripped off !!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.