MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days I booked an appointment with Ryan at Vines of Redhill to view and hopefully buy a nice 2005 JCW MCS.

From the start I didnt find the process particularly good, they wanted a £500 deposit to hold the car for a maximum of 24 hrs!! How am I supposed to organise the funds for that amount within a day?!

Anyway, appointment booked last thing in the afternoon for 1500 hrs the following afternoon, this was after I had worked a night shift.

I got up at mid day having had four hours sleep and prepared to leave for the 1.5 hr drive to Redhill. I thought I'd ring Ryan to let him know I was on my way. On calling him I spoke to him and was told that he had sold the mini the evening before!!

He was aware of the distance I was travelling and claimed that he tried to call me but couldnt get through. My phone is always on as is the voicemail. He then went on to say that I should come up to the garage anyway to see if anything else takes my fancy!

Unsuprisingly I decided against this, I will not be dealing with vines of redhill in the future.

I found this to be appalling customer service and thought i would pass on my experience to others to bear in mind. Instead I have opted to buy my MCS from a non BMW dealer. No pushiness (i.e they dont ring you every day to pester you into buying a car from them!) and lower prices....wins me over!!

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
It's not unusual at all to ask for that kind of money to hold a car. I had to travel a distance too to buy my car off the lot, and I had been told to bring a credit card or cheque to hold it if i was serious and wanted to think about it or wanted to go ahead and buy it.

So if you go to look at cars at another dealer, make sure you bring money to hold a car you fancy. They're a business, and if someone offers them money, they're going to take it. You can't hope they'd just wait around ... the next guy's money is just as good as yours.

·
><((((º>`·. ¸¸. ·><((((º>
86 Posts
If the deposit is refundable should you choose not to go ahead witht he deal then I suppose its valid request, its would serve to qualify a caller as a potential buyer as either a tire-kicker...I bet there are loads of tyre kickers out there, also there might be loads of salesmen trying to sell the same car, so they need to reserve it and cant without a deposit, it wouldnt be fair to other salesmen on the floor or potential buyers as well.

I dont condone his actions I'm just trying to understand why he would want a deposit....dont worry geezer, theres always another car, bet you'll find a better one, closer to you and you'll be glad this happened!

·
I get my kicks in an R56
481 Posts
Why would the salesman hold a car off of sale without a deposit. He has no guarantee you would show up or even like the car. If you didn't like it then i'm fairly sure it would have been returnable.

But as the others have said, the first profit is the best profit and if someone else came in with the money and it sold then unfortunately for you its tough luck.

Unfortunately it is a bit disappointing he didn't make contact with you though for whatever reason, but sometimes it can happen

·
IJ 2009 - Team 81
3,223 Posts
I'm not sure the fact that the car was sold is minibbb's point. I think the point is that the dealership knew the buyers circumstances; coming to see a specific car, shift pattern, distance to dealer etc. But he then proceeded to let minibbb drive the 1.5 hours to the dealership when the car they wanted had been sold. This is sloppy customer service, and arrogance, the "Oh they'll buy a car off me anyway" attitude. I would have been narked too.

The number of calls I make in a day to clients/suppliers that aren't returned is depressing. It's something that is getting worse and worse. The "Oh I'm far too busy" syndrome.

The deposit thing is normal, although the dealerships I have dealt with have only asked for £150.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the replies guys! I know I should have put a deposit down and ultimately that why I lost out on it, It was the lack of courtesy/customer service that narked me the most!

Anyway, I have today put a deposit on a very nice 2005/54 registered BRG MCS, will be collecting it next week and will show off some pics when it has arrived! :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had to put down a deposit for my new MCS. It's pretty standard.

Everything happens for a reason though mate so you've probably ended up with a better car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not sure the fact that the car was sold is minibbb's point. I think the point is that the dealership knew the buyers circumstances; coming to see a specific car, shift pattern, distance to dealer etc. But he then proceeded to let minibbb drive the 1.5 hours to the dealership when the car they wanted had been sold. This is sloppy customer service, and arrogance, the "Oh they'll buy a car off me anyway" attitude. I would have been narked too.
except the OP didn't drive to the garage, he phoned up before hand.

A 500 pound refundable deposit is absolutely standard at all BMW/Mini garages I have spoken too.

You're asking about a very specific model and if it's a good one (sounds like it) then it's going to sell, the salesman wants a sale, and in this climate NEEDS a sale, so who can blame him for parting with it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've not had dealings with Vimes Sales Department, but I have recently had dealings with their service department after my car died on the M25 near Gatwick Airport.

Mini Emergency services took the car to them, while I went to Plymouth. They had the car, replaced the Engine Gearbox and gave me a hire car for the week, plus delivered my car back to the house this evening.

All for nothing (Warrenty) and Mathew on their service desk called me every day with an update. (They had the car about 8 days as they had to get some parts from Germany).

They also did my service, which was due - not had the book stamped though, as was in the house, so need to get that sorted.

a much better experience with service departments than I have had of late.

They did point out a problem with the paintwork, badly applied in the factory, so another warrently claim methinks..

Stu ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the total opposite experience with Ryan - bought my MINI off him around the same time, and he couldn't have been more helpful. Since been back to Vines Redhill for a service under TLC, couldn't fault the service experience either.

If it was a BRG with a plate ending LZ, then my apologies if i seem to have bought the car you were after :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts