MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These aren't necessarily issues per se, but annoyances - small things that MINI could do to make the Clubman (and maybe other MINI models) better:

- Is there supposed to be some sort of velcro on the bottom of the driver's floor mat? Mine slips CONSTANTLY so that the mat covers the gas pedal! I tried to use some self-adhesive velco and that worked for awhile, but it just doesn't have enough holding power to keep the mat in place

- The wipers suck. The actual wipers themselves - they have pressure points which leads to streaks and also "low" spots where liquid is not wiped from the window!

- The seat heater buttons (opt) are in a bad place - the first week I owned the car I kept on hitting the button with my knee.

- Lots of the MINI (BMW official) accessories designed for the car don't quite fit - for example the rubber boot mat doesn't fit right (it's a bit too wide) and the "organizer" that goes behind the front cup holders is a bit too big too.

- Can you turn off the mood lighting? The color option is neat but I'd like the ability to turn it off completely.

- It would be nice to have, say, a rolling thumb wheel to mouse through the OBC/D options (MPG/MPH/etc) rather than pressing the button in.

- What's with the brakes? Are they some sort of super-soft material? I get ALOT of brake dust on the rims - it wipes off easily but it comes back easily too; and keep in mind I do alot of highway driving (less brake usage)

- If you have a sunroof, as do I, the "cover" or whatever it is lets through quite a bit of light.... it should be a bit more opaque

- There are LOTS of BMW "options"/"accessories" available that are simply not advertised by the dealer

That's it.... for now ;)

·
Registered
236 Posts
These aren't necessarily issues per se, but annoyances - small things that MINI could do to make the Clubman (and maybe other MINI models) better:

- Is there supposed to be some sort of velcro on the bottom of the driver's floor mat? Mine slips CONSTANTLY so that the mat covers the gas pedal! I tried to use some self-adhesive velco and that worked for awhile, but it just doesn't have enough holding power to keep the mat in place There are little circular velcro pads that screw into the floor on the driver's side in my R56. Even these are rubbish though, as they keep unscrewing themsevles and when you wish to remove the mat to clean it, it exerts verticle pressure on the pads, causing them to pull up from the floor. You have to be really careful when removing the driver's mat with these!

- The wipers suck. The actual wipers themselves - they have pressure points which leads to streaks and also "low" spots where liquid is not wiped from the window! I couldn't agree more - the wipers are absolutely useless! My rear wiper judders across the rear window, and the front ones squeak unless the rain is absolutely torrential!

- The seat heater buttons (opt) are in a bad place - the first week I owned the car I kept on hitting the button with my knee.

- Lots of the MINI (BMW official) accessories designed for the car don't quite fit - for example the rubber boot mat doesn't fit right (it's a bit too wide) and the "organizer" that goes behind the front cup holders is a bit too big too.

- Can you turn off the mood lighting? The color option is neat but I'd like the ability to turn it off completely.

- It would be nice to have, say, a rolling thumb wheel to mouse through the OBC/D options (MPG/MPH/etc) rather than pressing the button in.

- What's with the brakes? Are they some sort of super-soft material? I get ALOT of brake dust on the rims - it wipes off easily but it comes back easily too; and keep in mind I do alot of highway driving (less brake usage) The brake dust drives me mad. It gets all over my flame spokes, and I often just have to wash the wheels alone mid-week.

- If you have a sunroof, as do I, the "cover" or whatever it is lets through quite a bit of light.... it should be a bit more opaque

- There are LOTS of BMW "options"/"accessories" available that are simply not advertised by the dealer

That's it.... for now ;)
Having said all of that though, they're an absolutely great car!!! Aren't they?!!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Sad to say that MINI's wipers have always been none too hot. Fortunately my rear ones seem great.

I have some velcro on my the driver's side carpet mat...but I don't use them, as I choose to use the rubber which seems fine in the width to me, though I wish if fit better by the gas pedal.

Brake dust - another known quantity...some folks swear they've found a "cure"...you might seach the other forums.

No sunroof in this MINI for me (for that too much light reason and the co$t for me) but an idea is to have your sunroof tinted a much darker color....but of course it would be nice if this was already taken care of. ;)

Rolling thumb control for the OBC - great idea!!!

My "issue" is the wind noise - and that high pitched noise I mentioned which may be "normal".

Yes, still love the car, thus far!:biggrin:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately no OEM velcro for me - there ARE 2 spots of "half-velcro" I guess you could call it on the mat itself, but it needs to be the hook and not the loop part of the velcro.

I still think it's been a great car, but there is always room for improvement :)

ALSO

I forgot to mention the gas gauge - is it me or does it "speed up" when it gets low? It seems to take forever to get to 1/2 tank but after that it also seems to go down faster....??

·
Mini2 Clubman Newbie
25 Posts
I have not had a car yet that does not do that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Brake dust is a PITA on my flame spokes too.
I noticed on the OBS the expected pad life is 31k so they must be pretty soft on the fronts.

Upside is the brake feel is very good imo. Dare i say it better than my old 3 series coupe.

·
Clubman Fan
27 Posts
Good post Dr J.
It would also be good to have the choice of intermittent on the wipers (I've opted for rain sensing so in effect they do that) and to be able to turn the Clubman twin rear wipers permanently on (this only seems possible when reversing). Crazy when driving on the motorway in a down pour given all the spray that's kicked up too.

·
Living in Mini Wasteland
351 Posts
Unfortunately no OEM velcro for me - there ARE 2 spots of "half-velcro" I guess you could call it on the mat itself, but it needs to be the hook and not the loop part of the velcro.
The screws with the big heads that you screw into the floor is the part that has the hooks for the velcro. What I don't understand is why they didn't put it on both sides (driver and passenger). Of course if they had put put the hook part on the back of the mats (instead of the loops), then we wouldn't have to have the screws, would we. My 2002 had hooks on the mats, and also had them on both sides as well. Seemed to work fine for it until the hook piece started separating from the mats.

P.S. The dealer forgot to install my velcro screws, and since I live 2 1/2 hours away, they just mailed a set to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I forgot to mention the gas gauge - is it me or does it "speed up" when it gets low? It seems to take forever to get to 1/2 tank but after that it also seems to go down faster....??
Dr.J,
This freaks me out too but the best explanation that I've heard is that the gauge is calibrated to the fuel tank but when you fill up your tank, you get some extra amount in the filler pipe and so as far as the gauge is concerned, you have 125% of the possible fuel.

jon

Reactions: ontheroadagain

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I just noticed that same sudden drop with the gas gauge - and its accompanying bongs. I will say that it's handy to have so many miles left before one's really on empty - though I hope never to have to test it.!

·
Clubman Fan
27 Posts
there is interminent on the wipers ... push in the wiper stalk to activate it.
That's how you turn the rain sensor on. OK, I get it - you can either have intermittent (standard) or rain sensing (optional). That makes sense - the rear wipers IMHO still don't though ;).

·
Fly Heli's they're fun!
194 Posts
I agree with some of the statements.

Yes, all vehicles seem to have the unbalanced gas gauge. I personally would prefer it be linear, if I have 1/2 a tank, and have travelled 200 kms, then I should have 200 kms to go!

The wipers work great for me . . . the only issue I have had was the poor washer jet aiming. That was pretty easy to fix though.

I agree it would be nice to adjust the brightness of the mood lighting seperately from the other lighting.

The brake dust is very annoying ...

·
Registered
408 Posts
it seems that there are about 80 miles left once 2 bars are left ... now, how long can I go with no bars left? :)

and speaking of annoyances, the lit gas gauge is the only thing that annoyes me on the new gen ... those big bright lights are unnecessary and the only things "lit" during the day.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
You know this "new" gas gauge (to us previous generation owners) did annoy me at first but now that I've owned my Clubman for a tad over a month - I'm fine with it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can someone explain the fuel capacity to me? I thought it was 13.2 gal. As an example.... I had 3 bars left on the gauge and when I filled up today, I put in 12.4 gallons. How does that work? I can understand that you can overfill the car (filling up the top of the tank and any piping to the tank) but something is still fishy here.

If it's linear then out of 10 bars, each bar would be 1.32 gallons but that's clearly not the case.

·
Living in Mini Wasteland
351 Posts
Can someone explain the fuel capacity to me? I thought it was 13.2 gal. As an example.... I had 3 bars left on the gauge and when I filled up today, I put in 12.4 gallons. How does that work? I can understand that you can overfill the car (filling up the top of the tank and any piping to the tank) but something is still fishy here.

If it's linear then out of 10 bars, each bar would be 1.32 gallons but that's clearly not the case.
I don't think that I have ever owned a car where the fuel gauge was linear. They all move slower on the full tank, and faster at the end of the tank. According to the owner's manual, when the last two blips are lit, they change to red, and you have approximately 2.1 gallons left. (USA manual) The red signify's that you are into the reserve zone.

I do remember that there was a car that a friend owned that actually had two fuel gauges. One gauge showed from full down to 1/4 tank. The second showed from 1/4 tank to empty. It was more linear and easier to tell exactly how much fuel was left in the tank. I can't remember what car this was in.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a couple more:

- The airflow takes several seconds to increase when you "pump up" the volume, so to speak. The first time I raised the airflow, I thought the system was broken because there is a several second delay before the volume actually increases.

- I have the middle armrest - while I like its presence, it's not very strong (I have to tell people to not put their weight on it when leaning) and the storage compartment is pitiful because of the phone dock thingamajig in there

- You should have the capability to disregard "warnings" permanantly. For example, my windshield wash has been low for a few days and the car likes to remind me of that fact every time I start it up!

- It would be nice to have the capability of starting the car without the clutch engaged - the "no-clutch" start seems useless, and it would be just as easy to enable a neutral-only start.

- According to my dealer, it's impossible to install a remote starter in the Clubman, for whatever reason, but it just might be due to the clutch issue above

- The front passenger seat doesn't fold flat, which would be nice for long cargo

- a shorter-throw stick should be an option (or is it? The only mods I've seen involve CUTTING the stick shaft to make it shorter!)

- Power seats would be nice

- Expanded usage of the radio display should be easy to implement - have you ever been listening to a station that broadcasts song info? VERY few song names are short enough that they fit on the display..... but the actual display is so big why can't they make the marquee bigger?

- I've already mentioned the mood lighting, but what good is it when the rest of the dash lights in the car are all ORANGE???? Being able to coordinate colors would be really neat, or at least have it be a factory option (and yes I understand that the orange color of the gauges is actually in the plastic itself)

·
Registered
408 Posts
i agree that the wiper blades are still the pits. after 5 years they still can't use a blade from a better manufacturer? and this IS an English car ;)

anyway I had a set of PIAA Silicones on my old coupe that lasted for over 3 years. Great blades and might get them again ... unless there are some others I should know about?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Most of the aftermarket brake pads produce less dust of a color that isn't as annoying.
I've installed Hawk pads and am very relieved that my white wheels stay attractive longer.
I've always carried a spray bottle of Meguiars Quick Detailer in my boot and use it between washes on my wheels to make me feel alittle better.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts