MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Been a while since I've been on here as things Mini have been good - until now.

Mini R56, 1.4 Petrol 2007 - PSA engine approx 120K

My wife was giving daughter a driving lesson, car stalled then refused to start.

I go out to the car and find that it is indeed not starting, spinning over but not firing.

So I do the classic side of the road stuff, all to no avail.

Not firing at all.

So a reluctant call to the RAC.

Patrol guy knows his beans, spends a good hour trying hard - says shows a camshaft sensor code (P0365) but live data indicates to him it SHOULD run.

Tries the footwell fuseboard connections, fusebox under bonnet relay/s, all the flow chart diagnostics on his RAC tablet.

Signal to coils manually checked seem good, tried a squirt of ether into air intake.

Nothing, just spinning over like a champ, not firing at all.

So it was towed home, since then I have :

Removed plugs and manually checked for spark, present on the two I tried, did not check all, as even two playing nicely should give something not nothing !

Tried a squirt of brake cleaner (I know) into each cylinder, still no firing.

Spun over without plugs gives a nice petrol air vapour out of all cylinders.

Gone old school and checked compression on each cylinder, got some strange readings (car has been fine with NO engine related issues at all, a real gem) :

Can only assume this is Vanos related (?) as car has never exhibited any low / poor compression issues.

In addition checked EVERY fuse and pulled and reseated every relay.

Pulled and reseated the ECU connectors, disconnected battery and connected both battery leads for thirty seconds.

Pulled and reseated both camshaft sensors and swapped them around, no difference at all to engine state or codes.

On my super duper ebay OBD code reader I just get a generic code/s for camshaft sensor P0365 and P0366 but seems spurious as these codes can be caused by a lot of cranking !

So it has : Fuel, Spark, Compression and air.

Yet NO bang.

Son needs the car running (sister in hiding as thinks it was her fault) muggins here wants to get it sorted.

Love to hear your thoughts and suggestions on where to go next folks !

I am really scratching my head on this one.

Jon.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
compression on 3 cylinders are low, normal is 190 is new, 160 with 100k normal. maybe crank position sensor failure ie the fault code you have or its wiring faulty,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bit strange to suddenly have CPS fault and no start after a stall ? Would have thought a CPS sensor would fail slowly, rough running etc ? I swapped the inlet out exhaust sensors - no change. Would there be one come to think of it ? With what I have, I would have thought I would have a misfiring engine at the very least ?

I'll get two CPS and swap but RAC guy thought not that hence me picking brains here : )

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
how many miles has it done, if not had a timing chain within past 60-80k possible the chain as jumped teeth when car stalled as engine would rock both ways ie the weak chain tension will be push all way in by it is very possible, need a scan tool like autocom cdp plus a good easy to use and cheap option link below
with this you can scan the vanos sprockets and show the timing etc as well as a lot more as well proper dealer level for cheap.
another way you can pull rocker cover off and turn engine over until on both camshafts both camshafts are showing the writing half way down them are both facing upwards evenly as such if dont the chain has jumped,, also the top chain guide has a habit of snapping off when chain stretches

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the heads up.

Popped the CAM cover off, but like a muppet decide to gentle rotate the engine on the exhaust camshaft end drivers side thinking, hey its linked via a chain, if I take it easy it will be fine.

Oops, if it wasn't out before it is now : )

Jumped nicely.

So this 1.4 deffo not an interference engine then !

Currently have top chain guide off and the writing on the exhaust cam positioned dead on top of cam.

So in theory if inlet cam matches in terms of the writing, reassemble and away to go ?

Chain looks in very good condition, top tensioner no marks as such to speak of.

Looks like it probably was all good and I have jumped it like a plonker.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update
I checked the position of the cams, both seem inline. However I think the chain has jumped on the bottom sprocket as that would explain the variance in compression reading and the lack of firing !

You can just about hear compression back out the air intake, classic timing out.

Looks like it may be head off valve time.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
would sudgest if removing head might as well go the full job and pull pistons re ring it and pull all valves and clean and gring all in on to seats and fit new stem seals as if car around 10ok it will need it i do loads like this and best way forward also stick new chain kit on it .. just remember to mark everything the pistons must go back in same as come out and correct direction also the conrods ends caps only go one way and must be on the rod they come off,, i got 3 mini's on my to do list same thing £300 is parts sorts them out nice.. link below for a good kit i have used many times
good ring set, ie 3 piece kit these are the best to lower oil use

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi All,
Been a while since I've been on here as things Mini have been good - until now.

Mini R56, 1.4 Petrol 2007 - PSA engine approx 120K

My wife was giving daughter a driving lesson, car stalled then refused to start.

I go out to the car and find that it is indeed not starting, spinning over but not firing.

So I do the classic side of the road stuff, all to no avail.

Not firing at all.

So a reluctant call to the RAC.

Patrol guy knows his beans, spends a good hour trying hard - says shows a camshaft sensor code (P0365) but live data indicates to him it SHOULD run.

Tries the footwell fuseboard connections, fusebox under bonnet relay/s, all the flow chart diagnostics on his RAC tablet.

Signal to coils manually checked seem good, tried a squirt of ether into air intake.

Nothing, just spinning over like a champ, not firing at all.

So it was towed home, since then I have :

Removed plugs and manually checked for spark, present on the two I tried, did not check all, as even two playing nicely should give something not nothing !

Tried a squirt of brake cleaner (I know) into each cylinder, still no firing.

Spun over without plugs gives a nice petrol air vapour out of all cylinders.

Gone old school and checked compression on each cylinder, got some strange readings (car has been fine with NO engine related issues at all, a real gem) :

Can only assume this is Vanos related (?) as car has never exhibited any low / poor compression issues.

In addition checked EVERY fuse and pulled and reseated every relay.

Pulled and reseated the ECU connectors, disconnected battery and connected both battery leads for thirty seconds.

Pulled and reseated both camshaft sensors and swapped them around, no difference at all to engine state or codes.

On my super duper ebay OBD code reader I just get a generic code/s for camshaft sensor P0365 and P0366 but seems spurious as these codes can be caused by a lot of cranking !

So it has : Fuel, Spark, Compression and air.

Yet NO bang.

Son needs the car running (sister in hiding as thinks it was her fault) muggins here wants to get it sorted.

Love to hear your thoughts and suggestions on where to go next folks !

I am really scratching my head on this one.

Jon.
try the fuel pump

1 - 9 of 9 Posts