MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of a sudden after my Mini First being the best car it keeps failing to start after driving.. The dash light come on but nothing turns over after a few times of trying the dash lights then don't come on.

The garage say it could be a failing strearing lock wiping the key?

Any ideas as I don't want to just keep in throwing £ at it

· Registered
351 Posts
At some point the ignition switch can suffer from wear/tear especially if one's car key is connected to a heavy key chain.

As you try to start the engine wiggle/push/pull the key to see if you can affect the dash lights even affect engine starting. If you can that's a good sign the ignition switch is the problem.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you :) so if it was the ignition switch what would be the resolution? My garage have fitted an emulator as they believed it was an issue caused by the steering lock, but it doesn't seemed to have fixed the issue?

· Registered
351 Posts
I have no idea what an emulator is in this context.

If you can affect the dash light behavior/engine start behavior that points a pretty big finger at the ignition switch. The key/tumbler portion is probably ok. The problem lies in the part that contains the electrical contacts that are made when the key is turned. In some cases this electrical contacts part can be replaced separately. But sometimes not. The entire switch has to be replaced.

I can't say the ignition switch is the problem. All I can offer, feel comfortable in offering, is what you might be able to do behind the wheel to at least get a higher confidence feel for what might be going on.

What I suggested you do is was what I was told to do by a mechanic and in another case what I actually watched him do to try to affect the dash lights/engine starting when he suspected the ignition switch. In this case I had not observed any dash light anomalous behavior just a failure of the engine to even crank when I turned the key. The tech was unable to affect the dash lights/engine start but I had him replace the switch anyhow and the no start behavior went away.

In my opinion a tech should make a proper diagnosis and then recommend a course of action. And do so being much more familiar with the MINI's ignition switch hardware/failure modes.

That in this case the fitting of some emulator and the behavior remains indicates to me the shop failed to make the right diagnosis. This is sign you need to think about finding a shop that can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts