MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are everybody's impressions of the non-Getrag manual gearbox? I remember there was some apprehension about the quality of the (Rover?) standard transmission, and obviously any real long-term evaluation can't be made yet, but it doesn't seem to have come up as a problem in any recent posts I've read. Still on the fence about Cooper vs. S, and I'd like to be reassured that the Cooper's transmission isn't a weak point (repairing/replacing them is never a fun time). Anybody's two cents?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
My understanding is the MINI's 5-speed manual gearbox is based upon a proven Peugeot design that has been used in millions of Peugeots and Rovers.

It's the Getrag 6-speed gearbox in the S that is the new design (shared with the new US model Ford Focus SVT).

·
Registered
546 Posts
Gearbox - so far excellent

Only 700 miles so far but my experience of the gearbox is that it's one of the very best I've ever used - smooth but with a lovely positive action.

Only complaint would be that in town I sometimes find I need to drop down to 2nd earlier than I would have expected.

·
Registered
52 Posts
From the Feb '02 Road&Track roadtest on the MINI Cooper:

"The Mini's 5-speed manual transmission is excellent and its shifting action is short and smooth, requiring very little effort to speedily run through the gears."

Form the same article's test notes:

"The 5-speed manual transmission has short throws and can be navigated with precision."

No other mention of the shifter/trans.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
sharpski said:
What are everybody's impressions of the non-Getrag manual gearbox?
The gearbox is one of the things I like best of the Cooper. I find it very smooth and direct.

LMB:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand it's not new

Bruce,

I knew the box wasn't a new design. I thought I had picked up though, from other postings, that it might not be up to snuff in the MINI. Maybe I just mistook their excitement over the Getrag as a negative opinion of the Peugot/Rover transmission. At any rate, it's good to hear that those who have responded have done so favorably. Like I said before, I had a bad experience with transmission replacement, so I'm particularly gun shy of that being a problem.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Now done over 7,000 miles in my Cooper.

The gearbox is first class. Always very positive with good feel. It's never baulked - even in reverse. I normally don't even notice anything special (or otherwise) about the gearbox. This indicates to me that everything is working here as it should be.

Only criticism I could give is concerning the ratios. The gap between 2nd and 3rd is greater than I would normally like.

Hey, but maybe that's just me!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I read about that gap between 2nd and 3rd gear in the magazine articles that came out last summer. I was hoping that it would be fixed before the car's production debut.

This is doubly bothersome to me because it seems that the gear ratios are optimized fuer die Autobahnen rather than any roads I will ever drive on. The top speed of 115 mph is completely useless to me. The American market would be better served by a top of 90 (achtung: 145 k/s) and a tighter gearbox. I'm only talking about the Cooper, all you S drivers are madmen anyway.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Clutch Cargo said:
.....I'm only talking about the Cooper, all you S drivers are madmen anyway.
I certainly plan to be! :D

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Great Gearbox

3200 miles and no problems. Great gearbox. Better than the wooly Ford thing that was in my Mondeo!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Gear Ratios

Clutch Cargo said:
I read about that gap between 2nd and 3rd gear in the magazine articles that came out last summer. I was hoping that it would be fixed before the car's production debut.
It's not a big deal. After a few weeks driving I'm already used to it - you just adjust your driving style I suppose.
I tend to drop to 2nd a bit earlier now.

Don't be put off by this aspect - it really isn't a big issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts