MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my MINI for a bit over a week now and although I'm still in my break in period I've been using the steptronic a lot. One thing I like to do is go to neutral when I stop since I don't like keeping my foot on the break. The problem i've been having is switching from neutral to drive while stopped without hitting the brakes. Is it just me, or is it not possible to shift to drive from neutral while stopped without hitting the brakes?

I just noticed today though, i am able to shift from neutral to drive while the car is moving. this was a neat find since I often also like to coast a bit in neutral.

lastly, just to make sure, is any of what i'm doing bad for the car?

·
Registered
176 Posts
As you noted, if the car is stopped and in neutral, you can not put it into gear without hitting the brakes. Sit with it stopped idling in neutral and your hand on the shifter, tap the brakes. You will feel the lock out solenoid engage/disengage. Same thing if in neutral and you rev the engine. When rpms exceed 2000 (?) the shifter is locked in neutral until they drop back down.

As for gliding along in neutral, reading the tech data in the ZF ecoTronic VT1F Automatic Gearbox Description, the CVT oil pump is driven off the flywheel. I think that as long as the engine is running, oil should be flowing in the transmission and no damage should be occurring. The OM is very specific to never push or move (roll) a CVT MINI without the engine running. I have so far found nothing advising against coasting with engine running.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.