MINI Cooper Forum banner

Number Plates

863 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Third_Time_Lucky 
#1 ·
What is the best number plates website?

#2 ·
Without knowing where you are & what you want that's a hard one to answer ;)

Assuming you're in the UK & already have the number & just want plates made up, you will come across the problem of having to prove that you and/or none of your family float when thrown in water ... or at least that you are who you say you are, and that you are entitled to use that number. I don't know about you but I see it as A) a chuffing impertinance and B) doing nothing to stop criminals.

Your options:

Halfords: will want to see driving licence & V5, but will (sometimes) do it (usually badly) while you wait, 32 GBP or more for a pair is expensive for what you get IMO.

Mail order via eBay - will expect you to sent D/L + V5 (originals) by post ... what could possibly go wrong? But 1/2 the cost of Halfords & much better quality.

Mail order from Ireland. No proofs required, fast, but now cost a lot more than than a few years ago ... previous set I got was 12 GBP posted, set I ordered today from fancyplates.com (other sites are available) was 30 GBP posted.

:)

#5 ·
Cheapest/least hassle option I've found is eBay item 123706794820 (apparently I can't post URLs until I have 15 posts), but I can't vouch for the quality or the seller as a whole. And they're nearly 13 GBP ;)

They're also specfically sold as NOT legal/"show" plates as they don't have a registered suppliers name/postcode on them. In practical terms I think you'd have to have quite an arsey MoT tester to pick up on it, or have the lack of observation to drive badly in front of a police car AND fail the attitude test for that to be a real problem - I don't think I've seen any reporting on anyone getting fined for that specific detail.

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.