MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
H66 RNY2
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am i allowed to have a black rear numberplate on my car?? I saw a black MC (white lights and roof with aero kit) just like mine with a black numberplate and it looked soooo much better than the yellow ones people have. I dont want to get in trouble if its illegal though. The car im refering to is featured in the first issue of this new mini magazine, called New Mini on page 6. Does anybody know why cars have one white and one yellow numberplate?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
No, they're only legal on cars registered before 1972 and everyone you see driving with a black number plate on a modern car is asking to be pulled... :rolleyes:

·
H66 RNY2
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
StevePSB said:
everyone you see driving with a black number plate on a modern car is asking to be pulled... :rolleyes:
ummmmmmmm, i love gettin pulled ( not by the police though unless they're really fit!!) ;)

·
Pain In The ...
2,715 Posts
It is illegal as steve said, depending if its a private plate or not, if ur pulled the police can fine you for it and take the plates off you. If its a private plate the police can request the DVLA take the registration back off you (you usually get 2 warnings first tho). Chances are you will get pulled over by the police, just depends what the copper is like at the time to how bad ull get done. If your going to put a Black reg plate on i would recommend you carry a legal set of plates in your car aswell, so u have them to put on ur car if u do get pulled.

I personally have a private reg, i have 1 more warning before my plates taken off me from the DVLA, i dont fancy paying the 4 figure price for it again tho :(

Im guessing uve seen pictures of charlies cooper:

The plate does look great.

·
Registered
251 Posts
There is a Mini in Sheffield with Black and Silver numberplates on that are illegally spaced aswell - they are asking to get stopped.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Car has to be made before the 1st Jan 1973 for black/white plates to be legal in the UK. I had an early '03 Beetle based "thing" a while back, and I was allowed black/white numbers as it was Jan registered the DVLA assume it was built the end of the year before.

How boring was that answer?

:confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
basil the dog
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing