MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Bit of a long shot this, but I'm heading to the Nurburgring (for the first time) in a couple of weeks. I'll be there on the 25/26th July. I don't suppose anybody else will be there at the same time?

Failing that, is there any advice for a Ring newbie I should take on board? (Taking it easy the first couple of laps is a given :D)

Ta!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
taken it easy all weekend is a given personally.

Remember you are not insured whilst there, and the guys racing around you are'nt overly bothered about smashing their old golfs.

Keep tot he right, and don;t go out on your own. Use the passenger as a second set of eyes as the speed some of those cars come passed you will need it. Hold your line when you need to though as its all too easy to lose it by keeping off the line just to let someone passed. Also remember yet again overtake on the left only. however tempting it may be

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Very wise words Ant

It will be a busy weekend on the 'old circuit' as the DTM is in town on the Grand Prix circuit so there will be some big and fast machines looking for some fun on the old circuit.

Take good car and watch out for those behind who do not care what they push out of the way.

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
taken it easy all weekend is a given personally.

Remember you are not insured whilst there, and the guys racing around you are'nt overly bothered about smashing their old golfs.

Keep tot he right, and don;t go out on your own. Use the passenger as a second set of eyes as the speed some of those cars come passed you will need it. Hold your line when you need to though as its all too easy to lose it by keeping off the line just to let someone passed. Also remember yet again overtake on the left only. however tempting it may be
Cheers Ant. I take it you've been a few times? Good advice - thank you!

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very wise words Ant

It will be a busy weekend on the 'old circuit' as the DTM is in town on the Grand Prix circuit so there will be some big and fast machines looking for some fun on the old circuit.

Take good car and watch out for those behind who do not care what they push out of the way.
Yeah - I noticed that the DTM is on that weekend. I'm planning to get to the Ring on the Friday and hopefully get a few quieter laps before the Saturday goes mental...

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i went on DTM the year before. i hope you have hotel booked already as camping impossible when we went.

Its actually susprisingly quiet on DTM weekend. The only time it does get bad is on the Sunday when the DTM crowds leave. Its almost like Silverstone on F1 GP weekend.

Weekends are good, but my personal preference is to take the midweek options.

Also one final warning. maksure you check a couple of days before going that the tourist day is still on. The track can does move tourist days at short notice, as happened to me back in may. We only checked 3 days before to see they had scrapped the full day we were going for.

Oh and one last thing, if you do drop any fluids, makesure you marshall them. I would keep a luminous vest in the car. As you are liable for anyone who has an accident off your split oil. And beware if you do try to drive on there are loads of eagle eyed photographers there to grass you up. Thats how a guy in a prsche a while back got nobbled. And remember without insurance its out of your own wallett

I hate scaring people about the ring, but hey its a scary place. Trust me the first lap half way round when your getting overtaken by all and sundry you'll know how scary a place it is. but hey it is the best place in the world for any petrolheads

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i went on DTM the year before. i hope you have hotel booked already as camping impossible when we went.

Also one final warning. maksure you check a couple of days before going that the tourist day is still on. The track can does move tourist days at short notice, as happened to me back in may. We only checked 3 days before to see they had scrapped the full day we were going for.

Oh and one last thing, if you do drop any fluids, makesure you marshall them. I would keep a luminous vest in the car. As you are liable for anyone who has an accident off your split oil. And beware if you do try to drive on there are loads of eagle eyed photographers there to grass you up. Thats how a guy in a prsche a while back got nobbled. And remember without insurance its out of your own wallett

I hate scaring people about the ring, but hey its a scary place. Trust me the first lap half way round when your getting overtaken by all and sundry you'll know how scary a place it is. but hey it is the best place in the world for any petrolheads
Thanks again Ant. What are you supposed to do about fluids if you realise you're leaking? You can't really put you fluoro jacket on and start wiping the track down with some bogroll can you?! Is it just a case of letting the marshalls know?

Hotels are booked already so all set - but will check the schedule before we go, might turn into a sightseeing trip as you say!

As for it being a scary place, yes I'm expecting nothing less. Part of the thrill though I guess isn't it? Like surfing when it suddenly ramps up and you realise you're going to have to ride one of those monsters in... :)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
no you run back and wave like mad to ensure that others slow down and don't go down on your spill. Its mainly for the bikes.

When i was last there in May, a British Jag Dropped hi oil, he carried on regardless and the engine seized a few hundred yards down the road. 5 bikes thwen came round after him, all went down on the oil and crashed. A few seconds latter a Porsche GT2 ( 993) came round the corner at nearly 120mph and went straight throught he bikers, one dead and two others stretchered off to hospital. All becuase the guy did'nt stop and mark up the spill.

·
Giggity-goo!
2,670 Posts
no you run back and wave like mad to ensure that others slow down and don't go down on your spill. Its mainly for the bikes.

When i was last there in May, a British Jag Dropped hi oil, he carried on regardless and the engine seized a few hundred yards down the road. 5 bikes thwen came round after him, all went down on the oil and crashed. A few seconds latter a Porsche GT2 ( 993) came round the corner at nearly 120mph and went straight throught he bikers, one dead and two others stretchered off to hospital. All becuase the guy did'nt stop and mark up the spill.
Bloody hell :eek:

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

:eek: Whoah... that's hardcore. Will DEFINITELY take a high vis jacket and keep an eye out for leaks...

Thanks for the advice as always. One other point - I'm going out there with my gf and I'm not expecting her to come round the track with me (don't think it's her bag). Is it worth then trying to get random passengers onboard for rides? How difficult is it keeping an eye out front and on the mirrors if you're by yourself?

·
Team Wast
362 Posts
Regarding insurance, do a few enquiries, unless it is stated not valid on Nurburgring Nordschliefe explicitly on your policy, you are legally entitled to be covered since it is classed as a de-restricted toll road. German Highway laws apply, hence the no-overtaking on the right and there are speedlimits in places that you MUST adhere to, failure to do so could see you with fines from German traffic cops.

Like Ant said watch out for other traffic, the GT3 RS brigade really do fly around there, check your mirrors before and after every corner and really try to gauge how fast the car behind you is going.

A right indicator will tell them straight away you are letting them past and they should go past with minimum fuss.

Another thing, if you see a car that you think has a similar spec to yours, driving faster than you, by all means attempt to follow it's line but don't just assume because they can corner at that speed that you can too! Knowing the track is everything there so get a map and start learning. There are warning signs on the major corners that will catch you out but try and learn where they are in advance so you are ready for them.

Also watch out on the Karussel, it's easy to get carried away and end up sideways on the exit, it's a phenomenal cornering experience, but it's also easy to get it wrong.

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Regarding insurance, do a few enquiries, unless it is stated not valid on Nurburgring Nordschliefe explicitly on your policy, you are legally entitled to be covered since it is classed as a de-restricted toll road. German Highway laws apply, hence the no-overtaking on the right and there are speedlimits in places that you MUST adhere to, failure to do so could see you with fines from German traffic cops.
I take it the speed limits are for places where cars join and leave the track, and for the pits etc? I've checked my insurance - specifically says p*ss off if you're going to the Nurburgring Nordschleife unfortunately :)

Like Ant said watch out for other traffic, the GT3 RS brigade really do fly around there, check your mirrors before and after every corner and really try to gauge how fast the car behind you is going.

A right indicator will tell them straight away you are letting them past and they should go past with minimum fuss.

Another thing, if you see a car that you think has a similar spec to yours, driving faster than you, by all means attempt to follow it's line but don't just assume because they can corner at that speed that you can too! Knowing the track is everything there so get a map and start learning. There are warning signs on the major corners that will catch you out but try and learn where they are in advance so you are ready for them.

Also watch out on the Karussel, it's easy to get carried away and end up sideways on the exit, it's a phenomenal cornering experience, but it's also easy to get it wrong.
Good advice - thank you very much! As it happens, I think I'll find it easier to learn where the bad corners are if I learn them in context, so I've just ordered GT4 on the playstation to help with that part of it. I know the cambers, gradients are all different etc - but at least I'll know which corner comes after which.

Can I ask if you've been round by yourself, and how you found it without a passenger to act as a spotter?

·
Team Wast
362 Posts
Yeah my 1st time was 2 weeks ago on the 6th July in my dad's 996 C2. To add to my nervousness it was my 1st time driving his car!

He was spotting for me on the 1st couple of laps but he got bored after a while, or he was trying to close his eyes and not see how I was abusing his car. It's quite easy without a spotter, just drive like you would on a road, checking your mirrors.

In an MCS you should be able to do the uphill sections flat out once you've done a few laps and start remembering sections.

Watch out for the blind crests as some you can take flat out and some you need to brake before hand otherwise you won't have enough braking time before the corner.

A good idea is to chat to some of the obvious regulars, we got talking to a scottish scooby driver who lives in Germany and laps in 8:10! He says he does the uphill section at 210km/h, and by my 3rd lap I was doing it at 190 km/h and I was still holding back. A few guys will offer to take you round or come round with you to teach you where to push and where to hold back. Accept these offers as they are a real help.

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Saad - good tips! Am definitely intending to get a couple of passenger laps in before driving it if at all possible. And if I can persuade a regular to come round in my car and tell me what's what, even better...

The blind crests are definitely ones you need to know in advance - I remember on Gran Turismo there's a long fast uphill section and then a sharp 90degree left then going into a right, if you didn't brake before the crest you were chips. That sort of thing you definitely want to get your head round for real before planting yourself into the armco!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts