MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen a report of BMW testing the S at Nurburgring circuit?

A friend saw this in an Aus car mag - dunno which, tsk! - saying it was 25 secs faster than the std Cooper, lapping in 9 mins

Photos showed a white S with black surround round the bonnet scoop

BMW claimed S was faster than "all competition" in this test whatever that means

Any takers???

(Apologies if this is already covered elsewhere - Went away for 10 days and found 300+ threads with new posts on my return. Too much!)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
I've seen a web page somewhere with pictures. I'll see if i have saved the link somewhere and report back.

:)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Found it...

"Wheels" Aug '01

Presumably the bottom pictures are of Pepper White

Attachments

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And here is the copy...

Wonder if they have DSC & ASC+T turned off for these tests???

Attachments

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Interesting

That picture of the yellow S looked a bit strange, so did a bit of investigation. Note the MINI badge is too big, and the bonnet line and grill looks suspiciously "Cooper" shaped.

This picture has not been "shopped"......note the number plate.

Also of note is the 5-star wheels are missing their centre caps......looks better with it's nuts showing. At $2400AU extra for the S-spokes, I'll stick with these for now, sans caps.

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
Just what was up with the black on front of the S?
Five star wheels did/do look nice on an S also... :)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
ezrally said:
Just what was up with the black on front of the S?
Five star wheels did/do look nice on an S also... :)
The black paint around the scoop on the prototype Cooper S models was apparently to help hide the basic shape of the intake from automotive 'spy' photographers.

Remember, these photos are now at least a year old and the Cooper S final styling touches weren't officially announced until last fall.

·
Registered
808 Posts
s scoop

BruceK said:

The black paint around the scoop on the prototype Cooper S models was apparently to help hide the basic shape of the intake from automotive 'spy' photographers.

Remember, these photos are now at least a year old and the Cooper S final styling touches weren't officially announced until last fall.
Yes. In fact, when bmw invited the press into the factory last year, they spent the whole day before running round covering every S bonnet in the factory with cardboard rectangles!!:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts