MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past week I collected my 2004 (facelifted) Cooper, replacing my 2001 Cooper which had covered 30,000 miles in just under three years.

I was hoping for it to be better built and to have some nice new features but I was amazed to discover that.... it drives COMPLETELY differently! Its much faster (even with only 100miles on it) especially the first 5 mph when it leaps off the line. Its also MUCH better handling (despite same wheels and suspension) - far sharper and with better turn in. The new gearbox feels great and i suppose the new lower-ratios count for something but it feels like more than that to me.

I hesitated before replacing my MINI, as I had a lot of problems with the first one, but this one is just night and day by comparison. I'm very, very pleased I gave MINI a second chance!

(my new one has lots of extra stuff over my old one but for the purposes of the comment above i'm ingoring them all!).

· Registered
172 Posts
Your not on your own in those thoughts. I replaced my Nov 01 Cooper with a Sept 04 Cooper the other week and the differences a significant. The smoothness and performance do feel vastly improved. I am on around 440 miles but still keeping the car to a maximum of 3500rpm (tho I admit it crept up to 4000 for a few second on the motorway today).

I looked at a few other makes before opting for another MINI and like you, am glad I gave MINI a second chance. I had more than a few troubles with my first although none were major troubles, just highly irritating niggles.

Hope you enjoy your new one

Chip

· Addicted to Speed!!
4,505 Posts
I had an '01 Cooper, I rejected it. ;)

The '01 Coopers have different designed front suspension than the '02 onwards MINI's because of the old pulling left fault.

My 2001 suspension tops:

My 2002 suspension tops:

· Registered
36 Posts
I've got a Sept 04 Cooper and yes it feels quite a bit quicker than the older demo car I drove. But I am really disappointed with the gearbox noise on the new car. Lots of clonky/slappy noises as you let the clutch in and out + nastly rattle at around 2000 rpm when under load. Are you guys not getting this? There are lots of us with these problems and I am lead to believe by Mini UK that there is a problem with design which they are working on to fix. It would be really helpful to know if some of you dont have any problems with the box.

· Tyre-R Owner
118 Posts
I've had my '05 cooper since Sept 5th and have covered just under 1200 miles, so far there have been no strange noises coming from the transmission. If the car is driven gently its almost silent, even up in the higher revs (4000rpm as its not run in yet) there are no unusual noises either.

As for the ride and handling, it all feels good, even with my run-flat 17's i cant complain. Interior quality is also excellent, my only complaint would be an annoying rattle coming from the right air-vent near the driver's window! :mad:

Andy.

· Registered
284 Posts
I test-drove an '05 Cooper recently and really liked the new gear box. I felt different...but not necessarily better...than the old one. Other than that, I actually like my '03 better...probably because it is one of the lighter Coopers around and the demo I was driving was pretty well optioned-up and seemed more slugish for it. However, in light of the many less obvious tweaks made to the car, I would definitely conceed that it is improved and a definite winner.

· Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've done about 900 miles since starting this thread. The gearbox is *a bit* noisy, but nothing to worry about unless it gets a lot noisier. I like the lower ratios, especially first gear, and i think this is largely why the car feels so much more 'lively'.

I've had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever except for some very minor trim buzzing/creaking, but the again I did get the rather superb H-K speakers.... might have something to do with it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.