MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Domestic Motor Pool Chief
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just recieved exciting news from MINI!

Two recalls on the same day!
1) Diagnostic software relating to "automobile tank leakage" :confused:. This apparently means it might not detect if the gas cap is on and might not pass inspection.

2) Flat tire monitor software problem. The warning light just lights up - It doesn't blink and and there is no
audible signal. (Is that to alert drivers who cannot see? :confused: )

I think I'll wait until I need an oil change.

I was wondering if owners in other countries are getting these recalls or is it just a USA thing.

(If anyone else has posted on these recalls my apologies - I didn't find them with a quick search).

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you are going to post a notice about a recall, PLEASE include what cars are involved, i.e. production dates and models. Also tell us HOW you were notified.

You just scare everyone with such nebulous information. Why should 2005 owners worry about a recall of 2003's, or 2003 owners worry about a recall of 2005's?

·
Domestic Motor Pool Chief
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK

I was notified by mail. Two different letters.

1) The emssion thing affects "certain 2002, 2003, and 2004 model year MINI automobiles..." Not very specific. This is a US EPA thing.

2) The flat tire monitor problem affects "certain 2004 Model Year MINI Cooper and Cooper S vehicles."

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a 2005 and am not effected. I assume everyone who is involved received the same letters. Dealers usually just fix these sorts of things on routine maintenance visits, and since this is a programming problem, you can't fix it yourself. This is not a "safety" recall, since it does not effect vehicle safety, so don't expect the dealer to jump up and down to get you in.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
The letters they send out are usually cryptic, because MINI doesn't want to admit that the 25,000 cars they sold in '04, and 10,000 of '03, and 2,000 of '02 are all broken. Regardless if its two cars or way more, they'll always word it to sound like its a very small group, but they're deeply sorry it occured.

Usually the dealer or the official recall notice they send out to the dealers will know the affected build dates.

Emissions can be a huge pain though. If you have a car that's only a few years old, and like in most states its just up for its first emissions test, you don't expect there to be problems, and if you go the week before its due to be tested, you don't have a lot of time to schedule an appointment at your dealer to fix a problem you never anticipated.

The audible signal is usually so you notice quickly there's something wrong. As many of the warning lights are on the Speedometer, if you're driving by the rpms (or using the digital readout on the tach) you may not notice for a few miles if a light just happened to pop on. Can't hurt to have an audible signal, so several things do. (Including the infamous 'ice warning' when its 37F or below)

Hope you get those problems sorted quickly + easily, since it sounds like they could be annoying, even though not dangerous.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Recall notice is CD38??

I received the same Recall notice (campaign 04E-A01). It states that it affects 2002, 2003, 2004 cars that may not fully meet EPA requirements.

Does anyone know if this is part of the CD38 update discussed so much elsewhere in these forums? I have received my CD38 update (after much haggling) and do not really want to take my 2003 MCS back if I don't have too....

Thanks,

--Steve

·
Administrator
4,990 Posts
I received the emission recall letter and took it in a couple of days ago. It's an easy fix, just new software. The invoice form described it as "Reprogramed DME with latest software V39.0."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts