MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On MiniUSA the OEM Alarm is listed at $295...

1. Is this the only charge or does the dealer charge more for installation?
2. Does it really come from the factory or is each dealer just installing an after-market alarm?
3. Does the Mini come with the engine immobilizer and remote locking standard and the alarm just adds flashing lights and a honking horn or siren?
4. Is the optional alarm even worth getting?
5. If in fact there is a factory installed alarm, does it need coding from the dealer that we pay for?

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
449 Posts
While I can't answer all of your questions, I can tell you that the factory alarm was $390.00/installed from my dealer. (MINI of Peabody) Please take that only as an estimate since the dealers are allowed to quote their own labor rates and they can vary significantly across the country.

I have to believe that it is (mostly?) factory-installed, since it appears I'm paying about 1-hour labor on top of the alarm cost. I would think a complete install would be longer. (=more $$$)

Hopefully someone can chime in with additional details.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wow,
You guys are paying way over the odds accross the pond, I paid £100 for mine so I just thought it was an add on from factory. I don't know about the states, but insurance over here is a rip off and it is worth getting the alarm just for the reduction in preium. It also gives me some piece of mind that no one is messing with my baby, because if I hear that alarm going off believe me I am out of a door like a flash (all 6ft2 and 22st of me) not a pretty site to any would be low life i tell you.
Best of luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have been contemplating the same few questions, and what I have found is this:

1) the price on miniusa.com is only for the parts, not counting labor. The alarm is a dealer installed option, thus they will charge labor. My dealer is asking 430 for it. Basically parts, plus 1 hour of labor.

2) see 1 :)

3) yes, the MINI comes with engine immobilizer and remote locking standard. I believe the car can be programmed to blink lights or not blink lights. the alarm adds the honking horn, along with tilt sensors and glass break sensors (i think).

4) I want to get it because I will save on insurance, and I like the audible beeps when locking and unlocking. Also, I live in an up and coming neighborhood shall we say...but i'd like to be notified if my car gets busted in to :)

5) Yes coding will be necessary, however it is part of the install price (in my case, the 430 will include parts, labor and coding).

does that help?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all!

This does help.

It seems we get what we need to keep our Minis from going anywhere standard. That is the immobilizer. We need to pay to have the horn/siren go off if our Minis are broken into, bumped, or being pulled onto a flatbed. It seems each dealer charges a different amount for this. I think my dealer is at $495.

I live in a safe place, but I am not always parking in safe places when traveling around. Thus, I will consider quickly if I want to go for this.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Each dealer charges a different amount for two reasons:
Some dealers use any of the dealer installed options as a scam to get more profit out of the car. If they know people won't blink about paying an extra $100 for the alarm, and will just throw it on when they order, they'll charge it.

You can install the alarm yourself, there's directions and you can buy it from a dealer that sells discounted parts like classic (www.driveclassic.com) then all you need to do is pay your dealer whatever they feel like charging for programming it in.

I'm not sure why you need an audible chirp to lock your car though - its pretty irritating that most aftermarket alarms see the need to beep the horn everytime someone does something, makes for annoyed neighbors and just being inconsiderate. The lights flash on '05s and the locks make a reasonably loud noise when they lock or unlock. Not to say the alarm isn't worth it, but $500 just to make a beep, that some may find annoying, doesn't seem like a good deal.

·
Motoring At Last!
49 Posts
TopMini said:
I don't know about the states, but insurance over here is a rip off and it is worth getting the alarm just for the reduction in preium..
I'm in California. I called my insurer (GEICO) and asked about the alarm system. Because the MINI comes with an engine immobilizer as standard equipment, it already gets a discount. Adding the alarm doesn't get any additional discount. (I don't know if other companies have different policies or not.)

I decided to go ahead and get the alarm anyway. My previous car was broken into twice, in my driveway, in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am leaning towards not getting the alarm. I really don't need the sound. Especially since the vehicle won't go anywhere unless it's being dragged, and by the time I would hear the sound, if I had it, my Mini would most likely already be damaged.

That said, I will investigate doing it myself. Could be a fun little project and help me to bond with my soon to be born MCS.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Howdy all!

The factory alarm took me an hour to install. The directions are straight forward. Read'em several times and walk through'em.

Those folks at the MINI factory must love tape. If you do the install, you'll know what I mean. ;)

happihana: Sure you can get an aftermarket alarm. If your friend is happy with it and the installer, go for it. Make sure the alarm can be made to work with the MINI key. I don't like the hassle of an extra key fob.

that being said, I went with the factory alarm for the clean look and install. The MINI is prewired for the alarm. Plus the dealer only charged an half hour of labor for activation.

hey,
duard​
"Remember, my advice is worth what you paid for it." ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts