MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to take delivery of my MINI cabrio in the next couple weeks, and one of the first additions needs to be an alarm. After reading many posts here regarding the OEM alarm system, its oversensitivity to rain, and lack of sensitivity to hands etc coming in the windows/through the open roof, I was looking for some feedback. Anyone out there got any stories (good and bad) to share? And has anyone installed or looked into a good aftermarket system? Would also like input on price differences. Thanks for any info you have... :)

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Price wise I would say it be better to go aftermarket as it is a Dealer fit accessory for the OEM (if your car has already been built) which I believe can be expensive on the labour.
I'm sure a decent aftermaket alarm which can turn the sensitivty down can be supplied and installed for half of what MINI would charge?
Not sure what makes you will have in the US, over here we have Clifford and Toad that are pretty good.

·
Summer Splasher
675 Posts
I have had the factory OEM alarm system on my hatchback MINI (2002) for 2 years now and at first had sensitivity problems with intrusions such as hands, leaves, etc...through open windows, UNTIL I learned of the second setting - alarm on, but desinsitized....by simply pushing the lock buttom twice, quickly, when locking. Then there are NO PROBLEMS ! ...... Never had any kind of problem with rain. I think it is a very good alarm system. I would certainly buy it on another MINI ! :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
of more concern for you...

THERE ISN"T AN OEM ALARM FOR THE CABRIO IN THE US!!!! :mad:

My MA has zero information on why there isn't. Picked up my MCSC about 2 weeks ago and nervously driving around without even a basic alarm.

Haven't been able to find out any information from other sources, either in regards to what is going on. Or not going on as the case is...

In the meantime, I've found that if I put one of my cats in the car, he's annoyed enough at being trapped in the car, to seriously deter anyone trying to open the door.. :D

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
2phun said:
I'm hoping to take delivery of my MINI cabrio in the next couple weeks, and one of the first additions needs to be an alarm. After reading many posts here regarding the OEM alarm system, its oversensitivity to rain, and lack of sensitivity to hands etc coming in the windows/through the open roof, I was looking for some feedback. Anyone out there got any stories (good and bad) to share? And has anyone installed or looked into a good aftermarket system? Would also like input on price differences. Thanks for any info you have... :)
Overly sensitive??? I complain its not sensitive at all... Haha i can stick half my body in the car and no alarm. Rain + Alarm? nope not that either... I should mention it to the dealer hummm....

Edit: Ops... you have a convertible... disreguard waht I said... :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MacGuruTX said:
of more concern for you...

THERE ISN"T AN OEM ALARM FOR THE CABRIO IN THE US!!!! :mad:

My MA has zero information on why there isn't. Picked up my MCSC about 2 weeks ago and nervously driving around without even a basic alarm.

Haven't been able to find out any information from other sources, either in regards to what is going on. Or not going on as the case is...

In the meantime, I've found that if I put one of my cats in the car, he's annoyed enough at being trapped in the car, to seriously deter anyone trying to open the door.. :D
Guess OEM wasn't quite right, rather the dealer installed one...but i think the guard cat idea sounds like a good option. might have to look into that!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just installed an aftermarket alarm in my 2004 MC myself. Only $35 at my local Autozone store. The Audiovox Rampage AA-929.....uses voltage drop to trigger,so if a door is opened and the light comes on, it goes off and delays arming automatically for 5 minutes from when you press the arming button on the FOB, in order to let the electronics stabiize...also has an adjustable shock sensor trigger and panic mode. very small. adequately loud to deter your local hoodlums

wiring amazingly easy...one wire to the batterry, one to ground. ;)

·
I can't spell
2,856 Posts
I had what I thought was going to be the MINI alarm installed in the car by the dealership. When I went to pick up the car, I saw it was an aftermarket alarm. I have since had the alarm taken out and was reimbursed because the aftermarket alarm was a nightmare. I would rather wait till the MINI one becomes available in the US.
I looked up the one that was installed online and the parts cost about $80. The dealership charged me $495 for the alarm....quite the rip off.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting feedback. Called my dealership and they confirmed what maganoo stated, that the dealer installed one is actually an aftermarket one. I'll check with some of the local shops and see what they have to offer. The dealer install is way to expensive for the options it offers. Otherwise, I'll likely do like you and wait for an OEM version covered with warranty etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
arbee said:
overhere the alarm is standard on the convertible, is that not the case with you guys?
That's the annoying part. Doesn't come with car; but more strangely it's like it doesn't exist. Not like its some kind of New equipment :confused:

Looks like some of the dealers are putting in Aftermarket Alarms but charging the OEM cost. And then conveinently forgetting to tell the buyer???

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just picked up our 2005 Mini a week and a half ago, and we had our dealer install the alarm for $577.50. Maybe I was really ripped off, but I think that this may be a Mini alarm -- it added a blinking red light to the end of the windshield wiper stalk. It also came with a double-sided, black & white 8.5"x11" tri-fold Mini Alarm System Owner's Manual.

Overly expensive, but good piece of mind, and didn't want a non-Mini shop to touch our new car. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update

Finally got a chance to speak directly to my MA, and he gave me some more info regarding the alarms for the cabrios. He went to a training in MINIapolis last month and, while there, they discussed the alarms. Apparently there is no current OEM alarm for the Mini, because they were having issues with the sensors and where to put them. The setup on the tintops was not working with the cabrios. Currently one is being developed for the convt that has sensors below the doors facing upward so that hands coming through an open window (or worse, a knife through the roof) will cause the alarm to go off. From what I remember from previous posts, there was only one sensor before that was at the rear of the car? and was not going off because it was blocked by the rollbars? Whatever the case, the new OEM alarm being developed should answer that problem, but has not been finalized just yet. The cost also will apparently be a bit more than for the tintop, due to the extra sensors. Didn't get much more specifics than that just yet, but glad to know that they have something in the works.

In the meantime, for now I'll either hook up umberto's fix or look into borrowing my neighbor's cat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
From my readings, the Mini has an alarm jack to connect an external system. I am wondering if any one knows what after market alarms are compatible to that jack.

I am taking the delivery of my mini in 3 days and really do not want to park it somewhere without the "noisemaker"

·
I can't spell
2,856 Posts
MacGuruTX said:
Looks like some of the dealers are putting in Aftermarket Alarms but charging the OEM cost. And then conveinently forgetting to tell the buyer???
Yes this was the case with me. Although I knew right away it was aftermarket and demanded it be taken out and have my money reimbursed. I was charged $475 for an alarm whose parts cost about $75. $400 for installation....PLEASE! :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts