MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
kgouin
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question does not pertain to MINIs but I thought I would ask here since I don't know anyone from Australia. Does anyone know a song that I guess is a hit hit in Australia called "At Least I'll Try"? My father had heard this is a hit in Australia and it is a song that his band recorded in the 60's (I think). I guess they didn't keep the copyrights on it but he was recently told it is playing in Australia. I am curious to find out the group playing to see if it is like the original my father's band had done. Thanks!

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
kgouin said:
This question does not pertain to MINIs but I thought I would ask here since I don't know anyone from Australia. Does anyone know a song that I guess is a hit hit in Australia called "At Least I'll Try"? My father had heard this is a hit in Australia and it is a song that his band recorded in the 60's (I think). I guess they didn't keep the copyrights on it but he was recently told it is playing in Australia. I am curious to find out the group playing to see if it is like the original my father's band had done. Thanks!
Hi,

I haven't heard the song, so I can't help you there.

In another life, a long time ago, I was a professional musician :eek: , so I know something of the workings of song copyright in Australia In Australia the songwriter would still own copyright. Any time the song is played at a live venue, in a business setting (eg shopping centre muzak), played on radio, or in a commercial etc, the songwriter is owed money.

In Australia, this is co-ordinated by APRA, the Australian Performing Rights Association. They keep records of radio station playlists etc, collect money from radio stations, TV stations etc, and then divide it up to all the copyright owners at the end the year, based upon the number of "plays" etc.

They therefore should have records of any version of this song being played. If you father was one of the songwriters, he could send them an email, saying he had heard on the grapevine of a version of this song being done in Australia, and find out if they have any record of it. He might also be potentially owed some money :D

Here is a link to the website APRA

Cheers

Robbo

·
Un-Banned
1,999 Posts
robbo mcs said:
Hi,

I haven't heard the song, so I can't help you there.

In another life, a long time ago, I was a professional musician :eek: , so I know something of the workings of song copyright in Australia In Australia the songwriter would still own copyright. Any time the song is played at a live venue, in a business setting (eg shopping centre muzak), played on radio, or in a commercial etc, the songwriter is owed money.

In Australia, this is co-ordinated by APRA, the Australian Performing Rights Association. They keep records of radio station playlists etc, collect money from radio stations, TV stations etc, and then divide it up to all the copyright owners at the end the year, based upon the number of "plays" etc.

They therefore should have records of any version of this song being played. If you father was one of the songwriters, he could send them an email, saying he had heard on the grapevine of a version of this song being done in Australia, and find out if they have any record of it. He might also be potentially owed some money :D

Here is a link to the website APRA

Cheers

Robbo
Musician ey Robbo, I'm building a new studio in Slurry Hills at the moment, ever feel the need to pick it up again, we can do a MINI christmas CD/ Best MINI driving songs :p :)
Any other MINI musicians out there??

·
Un-Banned
1,999 Posts
play fife said:
Hey Enzo,

What field of work are you in as im looking for a new career path. :D lol

Any help mate !

Daniel

Ps: Plzzzzzzzz :) :) :)
mmmmmm........what do you do???
I could use a Casual sound technician at the moment. Even a decent property maintenance manager would be good??? I know someone who needs a driver, but did'nt you just smash the Mini :p . I do several different things, but never really need anyone permanently, usually just hire mates to help me out! Unless you're a good builder??
But if you play an instrument/sing, we could put done some tracks one time!!! :D :D

but seriously, let me know what you do and I might be able to sniff around. I'm in mainly sound&photo studios, property and just recently carbon fiber. I know a :bad::bad::bad::bad: load of people in the Archaeology field if thats what you know...sad I know, but I've got a degree in it..Let me know.

Nick

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
enzothemaddog said:
Musician ey Robbo, I'm building a new studio in Slurry Hills at the moment, ever feel the need to pick it up again, we can do a MINI christmas CD/ Best MINI driving songs :p :)
Any other MINI musicians out there??
Hi,

I hardly ever play now. I had a compound fracture dislocation to my left thumb playing indoor cricket :mad: As a result I have osteoarthritis in the thumb, with a severe restriction in mobility, that makes playing the guitar painful and very restricted :( :mad:

I still have all my gear, but it drives me crazy not being able to play :( It is incredibly frustrating :( I used to play at home, every day for hours, writing, experimenting etc, plus playing gigs 2-3 nights a week. Now I can't play for more that 5-10 minutes :eek: As a result, I have lost most of the physical skills :rolleyes:

I like the idea of a CD of best mini driving songs ...... I'm trying to think of my favourite now ... ;)

Cheers

Robbo

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
enzothemaddog said:
I got tonnes of songs:
Rio - Duran Duran
Baby we were born to run - Springstean
Low Rider - WAR
LA Woman - Doors

ANy others?
Sorry to hear about the finger, must be v. frustrating! At least you got the Mini :(
Hi,

If you are going to go for the Springsteen Born to Run album, I'd opt for Thunder Road ;)

"Roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair,
Well the nights busted open, these 2 lanes will take us anywhere" :D

Another personal favourite, just for the song title, is "take the long way home" by supertramp :D As if I need any encouragement to take the long way home :D :D

I could think of a hundred great driving songs :D That is why I still have a CD stacker in my race car :eek: Look at the right side of the boot ;)

Cheers

Robbo

Attachments

·
Un-Banned
1,999 Posts
robbo mcs said:
Hi,

If you are going to go for the Springsteen Born to Run album, I'd opt for Thunder Road ;)

"Roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair,
Well the nights busted open, these 2 lanes will take us anywhere" :D

Another personal favourite, just for the song title, is "take the long way home" by supertramp :D As if I need any encouragement to take the long way home :D :D

I could think of a hundred great driving songs :D That is why I still have a CD stacker in my race car :eek: Look at the right side of the boot ;)

Cheers

Robbo
forgot about thunder road...spot on.
And the tramp....perfect.
That picof yours made me cac.. Minis are'nt the same without the music blaring, plus it helps hide all those squeeks and rattles.
I'll always remember picking up my first BRG Cooper and making my 5 minute drive home turn into 3.5 hours after several selections of my CD's being played before deeming myslef too tired to continue driving. Ah.......the nostalgia. :cool:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
enzothemaddog said:
forgot about thunder road...spot on.
And the tramp....perfect.
That picof yours made me cac.. Minis are'nt the same without the music blaring, plus it helps hide all those squeeks and rattles.
I'll always remember picking up my first BRG Cooper and making my 5 minute drive home turn into 3.5 hours after several selections of my CD's being played before deeming myslef too tired to continue driving. Ah.......the nostalgia. :cool:
When i picked up my first MCS australian built i had the luxury of a push button radio.-How things change !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.