MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Big Grin...
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This has appeared as a £400 option on a Cooper - does anyone have one? or have any more details? rang a dealer and they knew nothing about it!

Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi rhardaker,

I actually ordered this exhaust in earlier this year as BMW claimed it was the John Cooper Exhaust, at first i wasent convinced as at the time the Exhaust was £280 on the JCW website, it came in a few days later and it was exactly the same exhaust that i had on my cooper already!!, i couldnt beleive it, i just laughed at the fact they wanter £400 for the original exhaust!, it must be only worth £50 if that.

And BMW didnt have any details of this exhaust until they spoke to one of there mechanics.

Hope this helps!

Tom.

·
der Hummermeister
1,495 Posts
Are you sure? I've got an accessory booklet in which it specifies the sports silencer, and has a picture. The picture it shows is certainly not the standard Cooper exhaust.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Bonjour,

i havent actually seen the new brochure, i did order this exhaust from BMW in January, maybe they ordered the wrong exhaust in? im not too sure, but im 100% the one they ordered was the same as the one i had on and they still wanted £400 for it!, they did phone before i went to pick it up because it was a one piece system and there was no chance i'd be getting that home in my car!

Tom.

·
Big Grin...
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does it look like the one in the picture on www.johncooper.co.uk (you need to go to 'works tuning' and then download the Cooper brochure). Someone posted the pictures in a thread but I cant find them again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The one i saw was not that, and before JCW had an update on their site they did originally have the exhaust up for £280, and i dont beleive BMW would sell the same exhaust for £400, they did tell me when it arrived that it was the JCW, but the exhaust was not Stainless Steel or a 2 piece system that i expected.

Tom

·
der Hummermeister
1,495 Posts
I'll post a picture of the 'sports silencer' when I get home (finish work at 21:00).

It's funny really, as I'd come on here to post a question regarding the sports silencer only to find your one already here.

I'm currently weighing up my options of either gettting the sports silencer (for a meatier sound and hopefully a slight bhp increase), or going the whole hog and getting the JCW kit for my Cooper. I just want a little more 'oomph' and a nice exhaust note is always nice.

All the best.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bonjour

yeah im trying to do the same, will JCW actually sell parts of the kit seperatly do you think? if they dont i think i will just buy the Mangnaflow system as it looks very nice indeed!

Tom.

·
230whp an counting
3,056 Posts
Drippy D said:
Bonjour

yeah im trying to do the same, will JCW actually sell parts of the kit seperatly do you think? if they dont i think i will just buy the Mangnaflow system as it looks very nice indeed!

Tom.
JCW used to but they stopped now. BMW do, do a sports exhaust, think its only the back box and its not the slash cut JCW one

·
der Hummermeister
1,495 Posts
JCW wont sell you the parts seperately unfortunately.

Just the back box? £400?

That's bananas! :eek:

That'll mean next to no bhp increase but (hopefully) quite a nice exhaust note.

Oh the price you pay to keep your warranty. :rolleyes:

·
Big Grin...
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like we are all after the same information. I have now rung two dealers - one didn't know anything about the one in the option book and both said they'd get back to me today.....still waiting. Perhaps you guys can ring your dealers.

I just want the exhaust note really (perhaps a few hp would be nice). I am convincing myself that I'm going to save the £370 on upgrading the chilli pack 16inch wheels to 17's and using that money on an exhaust.

The magnex back box looks nice but the advantage of the BMW one is the warranty type issues, also probably get away with insurance if it's dealer fit and also probably a bit better when re-selling as it's official.

PS. If you don't change your exhaust there is a nice BMW exhaust trim for the Cooper that looks great (just replaces the exiting trim) - there are some pictures on a thread somewhere (just search for 'Cooper Chrome Exhaust Trim - Accessory') - and it's £17+vat.

·
der Hummermeister
1,495 Posts
I'm going into my dealer's service centre on Tuesday so they can have a look at one of my doors that isn't quite sitting flush. I'll ask them about it then.

·
der Hummermeister
1,495 Posts
Adriann001 said:
Had one on a loan cooper. Sounds nice louder than my S. but if your paying 400 notes then get a proper after market one
I am considering the aftermarket route. I'll ask my dealer about the warranty/tlc issues when I go in next week.

·
230whp an counting
3,056 Posts
rhardaker said:
The magnex back box looks nice but the advantage of the BMW one is the warranty type issues, also probably get away with insurance if it's dealer fit and also probably a bit better when re-selling as it's official.
The magnex is the dogs doo dars. I got the full system from the cat back u can see a pic in my persoanl gallery:)

·
der Hummermeister
1,495 Posts
As promised, here's the picture from the accessories brochure. The exhaust looks pretty nice. Still think £400 for just the back box is bananas though.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bonjour,

yeah it looks nice, if BMW had ordered that one in i probably would have bought it! luckily though i will put that money to better use for the car!

Tom.

·
Big Grin...
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
looks good - I'm still trying to find anyone who has one. Also, now rung 5 dealers and still to find one that has fitted one! Still it is quite a new option and people receiving their cars now probably weren't aware of the option at the time and probably don't have the new accessory brochure. If anybody knows of someone who has one please get some feedback off them - noise, looks, performance etc.

I think I'll be going for it if my dealer can actually get one!

Thanks for the picture.

·
230whp an counting
3,056 Posts
rhardaker said:
looks good - I'm still trying to find anyone who has one. Also, now rung 5 dealers and still to find one that has fitted one! Still it is quite a new option and people receiving their cars now probably weren't aware of the option at the time and probably don't have the new accessory brochure. If anybody knows of someone who has one please get some feedback off them - noise, looks, performance etc.

I think I'll be going for it if my dealer can actually get one!

Thanks for the picture.
That option was on the accesories brochure over a year ago so it deffinantley isnt new

·
Big Grin...
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well - I have rung 10 London dealers (I assumed they sell more Minis) and none of them have even seen one let alone fitted one! Looks like I might be the 1st - if they exist.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts