MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post however I already knew what i wanted to share so am using this to show you my offset front number plate on my 2006 mini cooper r50. The bracket used to hold the number plate I made by myself and will include some pictures of this also.

The plate itself cost me roughly £20 and I believe to be the smallest it can be whilst keeping the spacing and letter sizing legal.

There are currently around 8 small holes in my bumper where whoever fitted the rediculous plastic plate holder made a nice mess of it as really there should only be need for 4. I looked into bumper plugs from bumperplugs.com but the price is pretty steep for what you get. On removing the plate I realised the holes aren't that visible unless within a few metres in a well lit place, because the holes don't bother enough to spend £150+ on having the holes filled and sprayed I am simply going to take the burrs off with a drill bit and use the touch up stick I bought from MINI for £20 (robbery) to cover up the black inner holes, this way your eyes won't be so drawn to them. I am thinking of buying an aero bumper in the future which won't have any holes in anyway and I will intend on keeping it this way. The plate is held to my bracket using sticky pads 1 in each corner.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahaha no it is a white plate. The pictures are in bad lighting and without the flash on because the plate reflects the light so you don't see a lot of the car

·
Registered
820 Posts
It looks stuck on and to be quite frank naff.

I think you'll also find its the wrong shape, it needs to be the regular rectangle not import square.

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Of course all cars would look much better with no front numberplate at all, cars like Ferrari's and other exotica arent designed for our huge GB numberplates either without it looking crap, bikes dont have them any longer so why should cars? If its ok for one its ok for the other, and as bikes go a lot faster than cars too they cant say its so its more noticeable having a front one??

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I'm sure the police would like to see bikes have front number plates again, but they were removed for safety issues - the common front numberplate was a double-sided plate fixed longitudinally to the front mudguard, where they made excellent 'knives' for cutting into any pedestrian they came into contact with.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Ive heard vehicles soon wont have traditional numbers they will have bar codes that can be read better by the scanners then all number plates the world over can be the same format, the plates will have a chip in them so they dont need to be very large, if you then spot a car doing a crime you just scan it with your mobile to give you all its details without having to remember anything, of course this still wont prevent the criminals fitting a plate with a code for a brussel sprout will it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ive heard vehicles soon wont have traditional numbers they will have bar codes that can be read better by the scanners then all number plates the world over can be the same format, the plates will have a chip in them so they dont need to be very large, if you then spot a car doing a crime you just scan it with your mobile to give you all its details without having to remember anything, of course this still wont prevent the criminals fitting a plate with a code for a brussel sprout will it.
I'll hold fire on that private number plate then :biggrin:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked at the rectangular ones but would rather have had the smaller plate and trust me it isn't just 'stuck on' although I have used sticky pads, that's a complement if anything though, it means I did a good job getting my bracket flush with the car so thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks stuck on and to be quite frank naff.

I think you'll also find its the wrong shape, it needs to be the regular rectangle not import square.
Sorry forgot to quote you and I thought you meant an import rectangle not like a standard plate, trust me I didn't get the 'wrong shape' I thought about it a lot and its not import size its not as wide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts