MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm waiting for my 2005 to arrive, so of course I'm cruising around the new MINI.ca website. Well anyway, I was quite surprised to read under the Maintenance/Servicing topic that the first oil change for the Cooper S is performed at 20,000 km and subsequent oil changes are performed every 30,000 km!!! Is this some sort of typo, 'cause that seems like an incredibly long time to go without an oil change!!!

·
my second passion, a tin!
729 Posts
That sounds about right. 15-20,000km for first and about 45,000 for second.

New grade synthetic oils with funky detergent helps it through

Stu

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that is incredible, considering I change the oil every 5000 km in my current car! That will be a huge money saver for me!

·
Themikanic
239 Posts
My Service man said......

My Service man said, though the service intervals are 15,000KM (Australia spec), he doesn't believe in the false economy of such long intervals between oil changes. His advice, if I am keeping the car for a long period of time, as I plan to do is halve the oil change intervals even if I do them myself at home.

Michael, waiting patiently for delivery of my MCS Chilli with JCW in early November.

·
S086 JCW MINI Co-Driver
82 Posts
Thats no typo.....Mind you I don't change my oil every 5000kms anyway, not even the 6000 that nissan suggests. I did the first service at 2500 for wear in, then did one at about 10,000, and 20,000. Now I'm over 40,000kms, and am thinking about it cause the oil is dirty. I check my oil, to see if there is any particulate and for how dirty it is, most of the time at 5000kms it looks almost like it was just changed, so why change something that is still good just cause service centers say so. I learned this lesson from a mechanic who has more experience than the age of the average mechanic these days. With the new levels of synthetics it goes a lot further, only reason to change them is due to carbon particulate and dirtyness of the filter.

Just my opinion

Ken

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
RicXX
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing