MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly question coming up !!!:-

I'll be doing an oil change on the ONE very soon. Is it advisable to change the sump plug & washer? If so, where's the best place to get one? Ebay search comes up with magnetic sump plugs for around £8 delivered!:eek:
Really want to avoid going over to the dealer if I can.

·
M3 CSL
724 Posts
Silly question coming up !!!:-

I'll be doing an oil change on the ONE very soon. Is it advisable to change the sump plug & washer? If so, where's the best place to get one? Ebay search comes up with magnetic sump plugs for around £8 delivered!:eek:
Really want to avoid going over to the dealer if I can.
Use the one that is in it now:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But is that the proper way?
I don't want to find any nasty leakages on the driveway afterwards. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even BMW dont replace them and dont hold a stock of them. :) The only thing that wears out is the outside after BMW monkeys have got their spanners on it ;)
That'll do for me!
Just wanted to check before hand, as I've always replaced at least the washer on my older cars.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
At my last oil service, the MINI dealer replaced the plug on mine. I questioned it and he told me that they are fairly fragile and they generally replace them every 2 or 3 oil changes. Better to replace than to have it leak or break on you while driving. The gasket should be replaced every time. The MINI plugs and gasket aren't very expensive. I think it was $6 CDN.

Having said that, I have seen the plugs on a BMW 3-series and they are very easy to break. A friend of mine is a mechanic and it stripped very easily. Cost (for essentially the same part as on our MINI) was $12 CDN.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Changed the oil, filter & spark plugs this morning.

Went fairly smoothly apart from getting the old oil filter out from the cap.....it's a very tight fit.
Plus the oil filter cap is a little awkward to get to..............why did they have to put it next to the exhaust manifold?!!! :D

Anyway, the engine runs a lot smoother now.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
A lot of dealers suck the oil out of the dipstick ,so they do not disturb the sump plug/seal - if you drain via the sump plug then it is best to replace it at some point - they are very cheap !!

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
If you suck the oil through the dipstick tube, I can not see how it would remove the muck in the sump properly?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you suck the oil through the dipstick tube, I can not see how it would remove the muck in the sump properly?
Depends on how hard you suck!!!:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts