MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the horn with my SA - asked him if the OBDC oil monitor was wacky as it says I won't need an oil change until 22k miles which (according to it) should be sometime in April of 2010!

He said that they typically do first changes at "16k - 20k" miles or 1 year from purchase, whichever comes first.

This has me extremely apprehensive..... to me I'd rather spend $40 - $50 and get some fresh oil rather than assume everything is A-OK.

I'm sure this has been a highly debated topic - I'm wondering what you all have done - have you done intermediate oil changes (between dealer ones) or just let it ride until you get a freebie from the dealer?

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Just got off the horn with my SA - asked him if the OBDC oil monitor was wacky as it says I won't need an oil change until 22k miles which (according to it) should be sometime in April of 2010!

He said that they typically do first changes at "16k - 20k" miles or 1 year from purchase, whichever comes first.

This has me extremely apprehensive..... to me I'd rather spend $40 - $50 and get some fresh oil rather than assume everything is A-OK.

I'm sure this has been a highly debated topic - I'm wondering what you all have done - have you done intermediate oil changes (between dealer ones) or just let it ride until you get a freebie from the dealer?
I've just followed what my service counter has said, and we have done this with the BMW too - no problems. I also know people who have just done the 2 years thing and never had a problem!;)

·
Registered
192 Posts

well ive 20500 miles & it still says ive got 3500 miles to go, so that will be 24000 miles. its running great althought the oil is very black. vote for my mini a.s.a.p
Mini Cooper - Car of The Month Entry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi There,

Hey ot to worry much about Oil change. Carrry out the oil as prescribed by the dealer as the oil contains certain viscosity level which helps in lubrication of the engine and keeps the temp low. Well this viscosity level is already calculated how much Kilometer or Months it would take to reduce it. So as its been prescribed by the Auto dealers. Not to worry go as per the details given in ur service manual about service schedule i suppose it should be mentioned or chk with the dealers.

Best Regards & Best of Luck :),

PETER THOPPIL

·
still learning
1,270 Posts
I was in the same position...........my cooper had done 17500mls and still showing 6000mls to service !!

the oil was very dark so I decided to change the oil and filter myself.

it's very easy done and I will do it again between dealer services, if I have the car long enough.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I sort of stick to the Mini recommended oil change intervals. However if I work out it will be two and a half years before the mileage is up rather than change the oil at 2 years then again six months later I would change the oil after one and a quarter years. If you want to know why the oil lasts so long wait till you buy some ;) .

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
I thought you had it done every two years or as the service counter says? :confused: I thought about changing the oil, but I don't want to give MINI any reason to refuse to honour warranty work. Plus the fact that I don't have a ramp etc!

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts

We folks in the USA are a little behind the power curve when it comes to oil changes. Mainly because we can get oil so dang cheap...

Here is the deal. The oil i your MINI is long life synthetic oil. There is nothing wrong with following the interval as I have for the most part on my MINI using Royal Purple as my oil of choice. Now, that being said, you will find many Americans that say "no way" and split it. There is nothing wrong with that either but you might just be tossing oil that is fine but if it buys you peace of mind what is wrong with that?

So, the choice is yours just be sure that you use good oil and not the cheap stuff. ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well 20k just seems too long. I'll agree that 3 and 5k are too short.... but 20k is a LONG time for oil to survive, regardless of if it's "BMW" or not.

As I still have plenty of time left in my service agreement, I was thinking of just changing the oil @, say, 10k (halfway in intervals) then just letting the dealer change it @ 20k as usual and they would never be the wiser. I had planned on going to royal purple too, but that seems like a waste if the dealer will just change it out to the "Regular" BMW stuff in a year or so anyway.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
That is not a bad idea. You should know that the 20K is where it starts but it could drop quickly if the car determines there is a problem with the oil. There are sensors that actually monitor it. Still, changing it out at 10 is good.

Now that I am back in the USA, I will probably start splitting mine as well.

The dealer uses Castrol in the cars.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
No there isn't on MINIs and BMWs its 2 years.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually my SA said they will change it @ 1 year regardless, so it's 1 year or whatever the car says, whichever comes first. The car's "monitor" is actually some algorithm which CALCULATES the est. oil change by your driving habits, it does not actually "test" the oil in any way. So, it's an estimation not a determination of oil life.

Anyway, I am nearing 9k miles and would REALLY like to change the oil. I would also like to use genuine OEM parts such that when I DO take it in for a "free" change, the service guys won't know I changed the oil inbetween (aside from any obvious color differences that 20k oil would have over 10k oil).

SO - can you provide links? Specifically I am talking about the oil filter - I think MINI recommends Castrol which I can buy just about anywhere.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Ok, "test" was a poor choice in words to use but the algorithm that is used takes a lot of things into consideration and I have seen a guys oil interval go from 10K to 10 miles in a day two. An oil analysis showed that it was at end of life and needed replacement so there is more to it than what the SA said. As for the 1 year, that is something your dealer is doing and is not the MINI standard so it will not apply across dealers.

As for filter...

MINI COOPER OIL FILTER FACTORY REPLACEMENT - COOPE - MiniMania.com

Or just go buy one from the dealer. It is your car, you are entitled to change the oil when you like....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts