MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a mini cooper s a couple months ago and as soon as i could I changed the oil when I drained the oil I only had a quart or a little more left , three months later I check my oil and I am low again. I have no leaks . Is It just because of the supercharge?

·
Registered
367 Posts
If you don't bother to check your oil for three months after finding it's almost dry, you deserve a scrap engine, but it sounds like you've got one already. I don't think you'll get much help unless you can manage to tell us the age/engine type and the miles you did in the three months between oil checks.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I check my oil weekly along with my tyres, lights and other fluids.

There's car owners and there's car drivers......

·
Registered
99 Posts
I check my oil weekly along with my tyres, lights and other fluids.

There's car owners and there's car drivers......
This is gold ^.

The oil change interval is 6000 miles on the standard car, in my handbook it does state that its normal for the engine to use some every 600miles or so.

Mileage and age may also have an impact. Btw, just pop it up on the ramp and have a thorough look for oil leaks again, some are very slow and hard to notice as the collection area might be out of sight. So have a good look around.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The oil change interval is 6000 miles on the standard car
The oil change interval is no such thing.
The car determines when it is, which for the majority of people, is well over 20,000 miles (it's crazy, which is why I change my oil many times in between services).

And the manual states what it does about oil useage to cover BMWs back. All manufacturers put this in.

When I got my car I was checking the oil level every week.
But as I've now owned it for 3 and a half years, I know how little oil it uses, so I only check it once a month now.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I'm weird so i check it every day
and she never eats any.

My Cooper s never ate oil either.

I also change it every 4k no more.

And considering how easy it is to check all the fluids I don't understand why certain people never check the levels.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The epic battle when to change the oil. Nonsense !!!! to changed on 4k or 20k if you know how to do this three test you will be fine : viscosity test, drop test and water content test. And visual check of water, oil, and tires every week or before any bigger trip.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The oil change interval is no such thing.
The car determines when it is, which for the majority of people, is well over 20,000 miles (it's crazy, which is why I change my oil many times in between services).

And the manual states what it does about oil useage to cover BMWs back. All manufacturers put this in.

When I got my car I was checking the oil level every week.
But as I've now owned it for 3 and a half years, I know how little oil it uses, so I only check it once a month now.
When I picked up the car, I read in the service book something about 6000 miles p/a oil change interval. That's what I recall from memory, I accept that I may be wrong and I cannot confirm as I've misplaced the booklet and its not available online.

Can you double check for me please? I wouldn't have made up 6000 miles p/a lol without prompt.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
When I picked up the car, I read in the service book something about 6000 miles p/a oil change interval. That's what I recall from memory, I accept that I may be wrong and I cannot confirm as I've misplaced the booklet and its not available online.

Can you double check for me please? I wouldn't have made up 6000 miles p/a lol without prompt.

Thanks in advance.
6000 mile service intervals or 1 per year is perfect and this is what I do with my cars. My wife's Dooper gets about 4 oil services per year while my 2 cars only get 1 due to the low mileage. I think MINI's interval is 20,000 miles?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I'll check later, but I'm confident it says no such thing.
What would be the point of the car telling you the miles until the next service if it didn't count down from 6000? ;)

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
20k is an idiotic interval and I'm flummoxed to what German engineer thought it up

4k intervals for me
Castrol edge fst 5w30
BMW oem filter

And she sounds and drives perfectly

That is also coupled with 25k transmission oil change.
Redline mtl.

And With 111k on the original box I'm guessing I'm doing something right he he

1 - 14 of 14 Posts