MINI Cooper Forum banner

Oil Consumption

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  mr.bill 
#1 ·
Hi there,

My Cooper has done about 5500 of mostly motorway cruising miles and the dipstick this week end when i checked it was not all that far above MIN. Is this normal?

My previous car, an MX-5, used to go 10,000 miles without seeming to use a drop of oil. My Minis always used tons of oil but I expected that... I'm guessing its worse because its a new car and will improve once the engine is properly loosened up.

- Rob

#6 ·
Oil Use

When I picked up my car in Dec, the salesman said that I would need to top it up with synthetic oil after 4000 miles. The reason given was that "these new engines burn oil to reduce fuel consumption." :confused: Anyway, after 2000 miles I checked the oil level, and lo and behold it had dropped to midway between MAX and MIN...

#8 ·
I read about this in the car care section of Popular Mechanics a long time ago. Engines pollute more when they are cold, so thin oil or a low weight multivis is used to reduce friction (flows faster cold) and that reduces emissions. A friend of mine had a Ford that came with 5W20 multivis!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.