MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I’m in the process of modifying my 59 plate Cooper S and have got the the point where I’m looking at an oil cooler. I have seen a video where a guy installed one along with a sort of aftermarket thermos.
I’m not too sure what this does and if it is necessary that I have one too.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

· Registered
1,302 Posts
I've seen that video before, if I remember right he also says if you don't track the car you also don't really need to fit a larger oil cooler and the stock will be fine.

Yes, one way of looking at it is stopping the oil going through the oil cooler before it gets up to operating temp.

· Registered
4 Posts
Hello
I am new here...I bought exactly the same package, and installed it with the in-line Mocal thermostat...But I am facing problems...the oil temperature goes up more than before ...I am getting 135 centigrade ..
I do not know what is wrong.. I checked everything... swapped the hoses over the adapter plate... changed the thermostat direction and upside down... but nothing changed...
Seller just sent me two male to male straight adapter to delete the thermostat and test ...if oil gets cooler then thermostat is faulty...
I was thinking maybe I shouldn't have filled the cooler with oil and installed it empty...but some says it is good to fill it full.
I do appreciate if anyone has some solutions..

· Registered
573 Posts
Yeah, that is a fortune. Is it going to do much for you really except extend the life of your very cheap oil?
Where are you guys putting the inter cooler?

I need to add an oil catch can.

Reactions: knt

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Hello
I am new here...I bought exactly the same package, and installed it with the in-line Mocal thermostat...But I am facing problems...the oil temperature goes up more than before ...I am getting 135 centigrade ..
I do not know what is wrong.. I checked everything... swapped the hoses over the adapter plate... changed the thermostat direction and upside down... but nothing changed...
Seller just sent me two male to male straight adapter to delete the thermostat and test ...if oil gets cooler then thermostat is faulty...
I was thinking maybe I shouldn't have filled the cooler with oil and installed it empty...but some says it is good to fill it full.
I do appreciate if anyone has some solutions..
Do you have aftermarket oil temp gauge?

If not, how is the oil temp measured?

Could be faulty thermostat.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Yeah, that is a fortune. Is it going to do much for you really except extend the life of your very cheap oil?
Where are you guys putting the inter cooler?

I need to add an oil catch can.
The oil cooler isn't that large to be honest. Goes in-front of the intercooler.

I only decided to purchase and have it fitted because the car is higher power than stock, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

Good idea to add twin catch cans if N14.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
The OBD2 oil temps are a derived value and not actual value.

Not sure to what accuracy it is to actual values.

To get an actual value you would have to install a oil temp sensor and oil temp gauge.

It is strange to get higher oil temps with a larger oil cooler.

Have a look at this install

· Registered
4 Posts
The OBD2 oil temps are a derived value and not actual value.

Not sure to what accuracy it is to actual values.

To get an actual value you would have to install a oil temp sensor and oil temp gauge.

It is strange to get higher oil temps with a larger oil cooler.

Have a look at this install

Thanks for your advice, I'll go for the sensor and gauge.
Just bear in mind that my oil temperature readings was by the same obd2 kit before oil cooler, and now getting higher temp by the same gauge. I think thermo is faulty.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Thermostat Installation:

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi mate, thanks for the link. That is what I used to install it. it came printed on paper with the thermostat.
Today I deleted the thermostat using two male to male adapters and guess what? the temperature was 75 centigrade.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.