MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to ask this but I could not find a 'definitive' answer by searching past posts.
I changed oil and filter for the first time last week. The insert I took out had a plastic sort of reinforcing sleeve that separated from the insert when I removed the insert from the housing, and there's a sturdy, approx 2" long metal spring that was in the housing also. Neither of these seem to fit in the new insert. The sleeve doesn't fit in the new insert, (it might if I forced it) and the spring is just loose inside the new insert so I did not put it in when I put the housing back on. My guess is the spring was there to keep the insert pressed up against the block so no oil would get past it without going through the filter.

Does anyone know for sure, from asking a dealer or technician, that the spring and sleeve aren't needed in the cartridge when you do a change? In other words, all you have to do is replace the insert and big O ring?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I attended a tech day for mini's a service center recently that discussed and showed up how to change the oil. The spring was put back in and I'd assume that its necessary.

Glenelg Servicecenter is the place I went to. Call them up there, these guys are awesome and know waaaaay too much about minis, haha which is a good thing. 410-489-0230, they are located in md and I'd trust them with any question or service I need.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts