MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 mini clubman cooper engine code N12B16A. A couple of days ago the temp light came on amber just as I arrived home, the next day it came on amber and then red and I took it straight to the garage I normally use where they identified oil in the coolant expansion tank that has exploded out of the cap. But there's no sign of water or coolant in the oil which I thought is usually the case with HG failure, also no smoke from the exhaust etc. They're scratching their heads as to where the fault originates, can anyone help? I suggested oil cooler/heat exchanger gasket problem after looking on line but they're saying this engine desn't have one.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I have a 2008 mini clubman cooper engine code N12B16A. A couple of days ago the temp light came on amber just as I arrived home, the next day it came on amber and then red and I took it straight to the garage I normally use where they identified oil in the coolant expansion tank that has exploded out of the cap. But there's no sign of water or coolant in the oil which I thought is usually the case with HG failure, also no smoke from the exhaust etc. They're scratching their heads as to where the fault originates, can anyone help? I suggested oil cooler/heat exchanger gasket problem after looking on line but they're saying this engine desn't have one.
depends where the gasket has failed ie oil pressure feed to cam shafts runs 80psi that will push oil in to water and if pin prick hole in gasket might not go the other way as water system is 1.3 20psi before it blows the radiator cap release valve, if it was a turbo car then i would say turbo would prob be why as its water cooled, see 70-100k mileage cars of that age with gasket seeping in a number of ways,, tend to get mayo in the oil filler cap,, put if your problem is a sudden failer of gasket from high oil way to camshaft ie its 12mm hole feed towards the front of engine block and is close to water jacket as well. i would put a 50/50 bet its your problem from what you have said

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
mike1967
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing