MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Noticed my Mini R56 Cooper S 2009 is getting through a tonne of oil. Had a look under the car today and there is a oil slowly dripping/building up on this component shown in photos.

Do any of you know what this part is ?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Gear box to engine means only one thing....rear end crank oil seal is leaking. Only fix is gearbox out, clutch and flywheel off and new seal. No point refitting old clutch parts either. Not cheap I’m afraid unless you’re doing your own labour.

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
looks to me that its coming from higher up, vac pump on side of head or oil pressure switch maybe, could even be oil filter housing , would clean oil off and then run it for a day see where gets wet with oil again

·
Registered
42 Posts
looks to me that its coming from higher up, vac pump on side of head or oil pressure switch maybe, could even be oil filter housing , would clean oil off and then run it for a day see where gets wet with oil again
+1 for oil filter housing, it normally drips on the exhaust especially when reversing. Front end off for R56 JCW not cheap, don't know about other models.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your reply
Do you have any ideas what a garage would charge for this kind of job?
I have been told the car has a head gasket issue by Halfords , and another place said timing chain is going.

I don't really know what to do or where to start with getting my MINI fixed, feels like so many problems and a bit overwhelming, a little unlucky for 50k miles I guess.

Is there any recommended or worth trying oil stop leak fluids that could be a temporary solution, or anything else?

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
+1 for oil filter housing, it normally drips on the exhaust especially when reversing. Front end off for R56 JCW not cheap, don't know about other models.
the vac pump can also do same trick and the oi pressure switch done one a few weeks a go was the switch lagged under side of car in oil , very common for vac pump leaking on them o-ring fails goes hard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts