MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Oil light started coming on so i changed the filter still has not stop coming on it only appears at low speed when i engage the clutch to take first gear to park or enter the garage so i suspect maybe a loose wire or connection as the car is full of oil a running with no problems.Has anyone else experinced this problem.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My Oil light started coming on so i changed the filter still has not stop coming on it only appears at low speed when i engage the clutch to take first gear to park or enter the garage so i suspect maybe a loose wire or connection as the car is full of oil a running with no problems.Has anyone else experinced this problem.
You don't say which car you have. The MC has a spring-loaded plastic filter core attached to the housing that if not reinstalled will cause a drop in oil pressure. If the filter is in backwards, same problem. Both are serious. Sometimes, a hamfisted oil guy will pull the filter with the core in it and throw it all away by mistake, installing the new filter without the core and lunching the engine. The MCS has no plastic core in it. You are also right that the sender or harness can be bad as well, but since the light only comes on at the times that the engine is idling, whcih is when the pressure is lowest, it is probably working, you probably have low oil pressure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi, i'll post in the same thread 'cause i had almost the same prob :
Since 2 weeks my car oil light is going on from time to time, i changed my oil, change the pressure sensor, totaly refill with brand new oil (Shell Helix 5W40) and it is always the same, sometime when i drive it is blinking and when the temp is high (around 105 celcius degres) the light stay on, and when the temp is f going under 92-95 celcius degres the oil light switch off.

If somone got an idea...

so i suspect maybe a loose wire or connection
No 'cause i think the sensor is inversed, if you unplug the wire connected to it, the light will not light on. (i tested it with the brand new sensor)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update took the car out for a drive the first 25mins no light on a bumpy part of the road the light flashes on then goes out i then pull in to driveway and back again then after 2-3mins of idle the light goes out and does come back the car is a 2002 Cooper S.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be getting it checked to this week i will keep you updated car seems to run fine iam hoping its a switch gone bad.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I will be getting it checked to this week i will keep you updated car seems to run fine iam hoping its a switch gone bad.
Sorry to tel if it's like me, it is not the Pressure Sensor, i changed it, same prob !
I think i'll have a look at the Oil Pump :/

Can you tell me your Mini Config (mods etc ...) Thanks

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Are you sure its a faulty sensor feed, you have actually considered that its not a dicky pump?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also noticed when driving on bumpy road the flickers on the off at random also if i change gears it comes and goes it may also be a faulty wire its booked in tommorow to hopefully get sorted.If it turns out to be a dogey oilpump is it a fairly easy DIY.

·
Registered
35 Posts
minizam072, keep me inform, i'll check too for the cable, i asked some questions around, to light on, the cable need to be to the ground, so if it got a prob it must touch some metallic part of the car, it does not light when unplug, like for a cut wire. (unplug it on the sensor, the light will goes on)

For the oil pump, it is not so easy, you need to lift the engine, take out all the accessoiries part (compressor etc ...), the pump is under a cover behind all those stuffs !

The easiest to look at is the bearing under the oil

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had the pressure switch changed today and after 30mins of driving it was back but onthe way home tonight it didnt show up so it is going orgianse for it to be looked at buy my local BMW Dealership.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Car is back from dealership and the problem hopefully has been sorted turned out to be a bad wire was fix and so far the oil light has behaved itself fingers crossed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes thats all they found drove car all day yesterday and oillight never came on get a autoelectricain to check your car hopefully that is what is also wrong with your mini

1 - 20 of 21 Posts