MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all you Forumsters!

I've just bought a gen2 Cooper S. It's a great little thing & it ticks all the right boxes...Feels plenty quick enough & the handling cliches apply, entertaining! That's after a Honda S2000.

But...

When I turn off the engine you can hear a very slight whistling sound from under the bonnet. Investigation reveals an alloy unit on the side of the right hand side cam cover. It sits directly under the air duct that feeds the turbo. I am thinking that this may be the oil pump?

On the side of the component are two small round plates, each with 3 small holes in them. From one of these thingy's , air appears to be venting....A breather perhaps??

Also the car (from the outside) smells "oily"....a bit like a thrashed 2-stroke field bike!

At the mo' oil level seems fine, no warnings are displayed etc...

What d'ya reckon peeps?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I'll add my t'pence worth to keep you entertained until one of the Gen2 experts replies. Most modern turbo installations continue to circulate the oil around the turbo after you switch off to prevent the oil being cooked by the turbo. You are probably hearing no more than this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorted....

Hi All,

I had the car back into the dealers. It turned out to be the fuel pump. Apparently a small valve in the side of the pump had failed. This meant atomised fuel was being sparayed into the engine bay! The noise I could hear was this valve leaking until the presure in the fuel system has decreased.

Anyways they've swapped the offending part, washed the car & even delivered back to my house. I also had a Clubman D for a day or two. This had STOP STARING written down the side in silver letters a foot high! NICE!!!

Roger n oot!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts