MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
MCS & Cobra 427
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've now done about 1200 miles in my new CooperS. The TLC allows for a first oil change at roughly 20,000 miles, in my experience this seems an awful long time before the first oil change particularly as the engines need running in.
So the question is - anyone out there (preferably working for Mini or with strong mech. knowledge on Minis) care to advise as to whether the car should have an oil service at this stage or would I just be wasting money ? I know Mini say that it doesn't need it, but they only warrant the car up to 3 years !

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
476 Posts
That's far too early in a brand new car in my opinion, especially when your still running it in. I would leave the oil change until you get nearer to 10k and then do a change. I personally change mine every 10k and it seems that is roughly what most people on this site do as well. Some even change it less but its not necessary after only 1200 miles.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Most of todays engines are specc'd so tight that the days of old "running in" isn't really needed and you are just wasting money by changing it early. If you are concerned then maybe at 5K you should change it but following the BWM guidlines are fine if you are using it as a daily driver. If you are tracking your car then you will want to change it more frequently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts