MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Mini R58 Coupe John Cooper Works
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Bit of a weird one, I can smell hot oil in the car through the vents, it's not burnt oil but hot. I've noticed theres quite a lot of oil spattered about the engine bay, I cleaned everything with degreaser but after a few runs on the motorway the oil has come back. The engine has recently had a new rocker cover amonst other things due to a seized brake booster which knackered the camshaft and timing chain... Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Tom

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Seems an oil seal is not right and leaking, the recent work done needs to be retraced until the leak is found.

·
Registered
Mini R58 Coupe John Cooper Works
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How easy is it to get the rocker cover off? Unbolt, new gasket, bolt back on? I'm assuming theres more to it? There usually is 😂

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Undo the bolts, disconnect anything that requires moving, I'm pretty sure some gasket sealer is needed too, near the timing chain end.
Replacement in the opposite of removal. Make sure you torque the bolts down to their correct specification.

·
1badR56
15 Posts
Did you get it fixed yet?

With that oil pattern, I'd guess it's more than a bad gasket install. Looks like excess crankcase pressure, most likely from a bad rocker cover / PCV. Maybe the rear PCV hose isn't tight enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts