MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all looking for some help, i have a 2008 mini cooper diesel 1.6 w16 engine and i am having an oil leak issue, i recently replaced the old pan with new one and noticed a severe leak from further up in the block, it looks like a missing bolt or plug in the block.
dont know whats happened but oil is pouring from it i have picture with hole detailed. pipe is DPF.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
think behind ie above that and behind the dpf filter and heat shields the oil feed pipe banjo lives there its common for these to leak especially if get moved or just from vibrations over time .. could use a tiny camera plugged in to a laptop and probe in behind see whats leaking,, also above the banjo there is a oil return pipe from turbo also common for leaks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi mike thanks ive recently cleaned out the dpf and replaced oil feed line and oil return, but it looks like oil is coming directly down through that hole arrowed, is there a bolt or plug not missing here?

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
can you get a pic further away so can get a better idea to location, there is a number of small bolts that go all way around the outer edge of the crankshaft carriage ie 10mm head sizes and a bolt 1 inch long, and within the sump has the main bearing caps bolts also by where gearbox joins engine there are two round metal caps that cover and prevent oil leaking from the rear main bearing bolts you can just see one of those in your pics, these do leak some times proper pain to remove and only use new caps and sealant when replacing them,
as for just fitted new turbo feed oil pipe hmmm i have seen so many brand new ones leak either after a few runs of right out the box, i stopped buying the aftermarket ones as just so much hassle when do leak, i just a cooper s one do same trick had to strip it apart again and its a royal main in arse as well as banjo is behind everything like the diesels are.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi mike many thanks will try and get better picture, praying its a bolt or something missing its a nightmare to pull apart, i had a hell of a time.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
i know what they are like and best way is to pull front off car and pull the radiator and front support away from the engine as such, joys of a small car and a engine not really designed for for it, ie its psa engine,

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
i think that hole goes nowhere but straight through off top of my head and sits right under the banjo bolt for turbo feed pipe, i have once try'd replacing the turbo pipe without removing the dpf ie bend the heat shield out the way it never ended well had oil leak etc when i did strip it ie removed the dpf and cat i found that the copper washer never located correctly and had caught it on a edge as such, push a bit of wire up in the hole see if it goes all way through if does then you have a day of joy ahead removing the front etc,
yep i was right below link of engine block for sale on ebay go click on the pics and can see right under the oil feed banjo bolt that big hole goes all way through

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mike thanks but excuse me if i say f***k me, a day of joy is maybye not how id put it but many thanks for all your help your a star, at least i know where im going, loony bin prob

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
sorry was tongue in cheek i know i do them all the time and i still rate that job as proper pain in arse at best to for f sake not again lol. i just put a turbo car all back together except for front back on i have learnt before putting front on start the bloody thing let it run until up to temps,, as this cooper s i just rebuilt the engine pistons and head stuff new timing chain etc, i thought i could get away with the turbo feed pipe hmmmm very stupid of me to have thought it will be or might be fine,, what i should of done when ordering parts was just buy a new one,, as its seems 9 times from 10 once those pipes have been used and got hot then if every moved again they bloody well leak... so today i got it running engine sounds perfect but after 5 minutes of running the pipe starts to leak oil from top union and same as diesels remove the cat and shields etc again , i feel your pain every time i dont buy or get given a genuine oil pipe as well,

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mike many thanks for your advice, i had put aftermarket pipe on from ebay kit, would it be better to put old one back or get oem new one

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
the old one will leak no point, i just bought a genuine one from ocean bmw for £54, the trouble the turbo gets so hot and my theory is this heat melts the union to seal maybe so once its melted and if ever move it they seem to leak most of the time , the cheaper aftermarket ones i have had a few fail on fitting from the off, which if that was to happen when on the road chances are turbo failure or on a very hot turbo fire maybe , piece of mind now steers me to genuine pipes

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi mike sorry to be a pest, but can you remember if your new oil feed line came with banjo bolts from bmw, im going to the local one today.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm not Mike but having recently bought 2 of these pipes one genuine one not, the reason for 2 the new eBay one leaked straight away. The pipe is just the pipe, new bolts aren't needed but pull the filter out of the bolt in the block.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
no the banjo bolts and copper washers are separate . when fitting them must ensure the copper seals locate correctly before tightening them up

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
deffo remove the filter in the block banjo bolt

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hi guys, got it torn apart and defoe leaking from oil feed, got to BMW in Hamilton and got pipe for 51.25, weather is awful so hopefully tomorrow for fitting.
is there a torque setting for the banjo bolts or just right tight?.
and again thanks for your advice

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hi all , mini is now back in action, all back together this morning in the snow
thanks for all your advice and help
dont wish to do this job again in a hurry

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
ideal glad it went ok for you those oil feed pipes are a joke to be honest once moved they leak done it my self a few times i now try and remember to run car up before putting front back on it, in fact done it this week put a cooper s back together but not front on found it leaking order a new one £54, i got mine running finally today and driven it now just got to sort the lamda sensors out next as were oil damaged more money on emission base shite

1 - 20 of 20 Posts