MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
R56 1.4 2007
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone recommend anything other than Liqui Moly Oil saver to reduce the valve stem oil seal blue smoke symptom?

Our 1.4 R56 (90k mikes) had vanos issues. As part of the diagnostic process in the spring we put some Liqui Moly Oil saver in to see if it increased oil pressure and improve things..... it didn't. We had a new timing chain, vanos units and cam oil seals fitted recently and our Vanos is back up and working at the moment.

However we are getting quite a lot of blue smoke from tickover suggesting the valve stem oil seals are passing oil.
The car will be pumping more oil around as the bits of old guide are no longer blocking up the oil pickup and as it's running much better and properly I guess it could be sucking in more oil. Do not have the money or skills to do the valve stem oil seals at the moment so looking to see if anyone has had any success with any of the oil treatments that report to help with this sort of thing...

I suspect the Liqui Moly stuff we used last time is my go-to option as although it didn't fix the vanos we had no blue smoke. However I'd have thought it would have carried on fixing the smoke after an oil change rather than immediately return all oil seals to wooden leaky condition.

Anyone recommend anything other than Liqui Moly Oil saver to reduce the valve stem oil seal blue smoke symptom?

·
Registered
Mini Cooper, 2008, Manual
106 Posts

Our 1.4 R56 (90k mikes) had vanos issues. As part of the diagnostic process in the spring we put some Liqui Moly Oil saver in to see if it increased oil pressure and improve things..... it didn't. We had a new timing chain, vanos units and cam oil seals fitted recently and our Vanos is back up and working at the moment.

However we are getting quite a lot of blue smoke from tickover suggesting the valve stem oil seals are passing oil.
The car will be pumping more oil around as the bits of old guide are no longer blocking up the oil pickup and as it's running much better and properly I guess it could be sucking in more oil. Do not have the money or skills to do the valve stem oil seals at the moment so looking to see if anyone has had any success with any of the oil treatments that report to help with this sort of thing...

I suspect the Liqui Moly stuff we used last time is my go-to option as although it didn't fix the vanos we had no blue smoke. However I'd have thought it would have carried on fixing the smoke after an oil change rather than immediately return all oil seals to wooden leaky condition.

Hi Mark,

The rule of thumb with the Prince engine when it comes to oil consumption/blue smoke is replace both the oil control rings as part of a re-ring exercise and at the same time replace the valve guide seals. Given the mileage you have done I would expect both are past their sell by date. If Moly works then its a stop gap for a while, giving you time to either prepare to open up the engine or move it on! Does the mini consume oil? The typical Prince gets through a litre every 1000 miles or less once the oil control rings have failed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts