MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I am new on this forum, so I've been having an issue with my mini cooper s 09 1.6L Turbocharged.
I had replaced the head gasket cover and seals in the past since oil was leaking and that fixed that issue.

Now the oil light is coming on my dashboard when driving at slow speed or when stoping the car and it continues to come on and off, i drove the car on the highway not stoping and the light wont come on.

I did some basic observations and first thing i did was check if i was running low on oil and everything looks good.
I then replace the oil pressure switch (or sensor) and the light is still coming on and off.
Scanned to see if any codes would come on but nothing related to this issue.
I even try to reset the light on the dashboard but still the same.

I then notice that the crankcase vent hose that goes from the head engine to underneath the manifold was damaged and it looked and sound like air wasn't flowing the way it's supposed to could this be the reason why the light is coming on and off? I also noticed a little of oil on the head.
Im planning on buying it anyway since its damaged to see if this changes anything.

If anyone has had any issues like this i would really appreciate your comments on to how you got this oil light fixed, thanks!

·
Registered
2004 Mini Cooper R50 Chili Red, Midlands 5 speed manual
43 Posts
It sounds to me like the bearings in your engine are worn. It will need an overhaul.

A rule of thumb is 10 psig (English measurement) of oil pressure for every 1000 rpm.

At low engine speed, that’s why the oil pressure is low and the light is on. But once the engine rpms are up, more oil pressure makes the light go out.

You could change the oil to something like 10W-40, and the thicker oil will keep the light from coming on and it will last a little longer.

Good luck,
Dan

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
there are known issues with oil filter housings there is two valves in it one at top where oil filter lives and another one in bottom of it need to remove the whole housing off side of block and only repair is replace it ,
also if every run low on oil will hurt them ie signs of crankshaft and oil pump wear,
also would need to check how hot the car runs at as have seen cars over heat the oil due to the thermostat housing running to hot,, there is a upgrade for these engines where a 105c housing is available,. as old ones are 112c 12 degrees above what all oils are graded at, need to live data it see temps and if are very high when get oil light chances are the oil is being thinned to much from excess heat,,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts