MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running 0W-40 Castrol Edge Sport?? Running the same with no tappet noise? I have often wonder this and never got around to asking. Techinically the only difference to this and the 30 is that at 100C it will be similar to the vicosity of 40 weight instead of 30 weight. But how many of us are running very hot tuned engines? :)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Is anyone running 0W-40 Castrol Edge Sport?? Running the same with no tappet noise? I have often wonder this and never got around to asking. Techinically the only difference to this and the 30 is that at 100C it will be similar to the vicosity of 40 weight instead of 30 weight. But how many of us are running very hot tuned engines? :)

Thoughts?
sounds like you soone will be!:)

try these guys, they'll have the answers:-

Contact Opie Oils

·
M3 CSL
724 Posts

Thoughts?
Generally going thicker i.e 0W-40 opposed to 0W-30 will reduce tappet noise at full operating temperature. On the flip side, the heat dissipation of a 0W-40 is not as good as a lower viscosity oil (0W-30) and of course there is the power loss of a thicker oil (approx 3.5% grade to grade e.g 0W-30 to 0W-40).

There is one major difference, it requires a lot more polymer (thickener) to make a 0W-40 opposed to 0W-30 and this creates a lot higher chance of permanent viscosity loss (shearing).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts