MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
GP 1752
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :D:D

I'm after a mini again, loved my old R53 cooper S and I'm in love with the mini GP but need a car for around 4 years which would make the GP 6 years old when i trade it in, I will get very little back on her, I'm not a great fan of the look of the new R56 BUT its the only way i can have a mini again then I will have to do it.

got some questions on the new R56

1.. 0-60 on the new R56 v the old R53
2.. road tax 12 months 56 v 53
3.. is it as fun as the the old R53,poping , engine noise.
4.. how good is the JCW on the new R56
5. is there much aftermarket stuff out for the new mini yet.

Neil.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
1) R56 is faster, but not as fun getting there
2) R56 is cheaper, there is a tax thread, search you idle fecker:p
3) No, you had the right idea in the first place getting a GP
4) don't know not tried it, but at the end of the day its suspension I'd be looking at if you want it be anywhere near as good as the GP, as it feels too loose and soft
5) don't know, not brought anything as no matter what I could buy its not going to be as fun as the GP so why waste my money on what is just another everyday boring car compared to the GP

And before anyone jumps on my reply and says I'm biased towards the GP, we do also have an R56 MCS so I speak of my opinion from having both at the same time and I'm not just bashing a car which others have;)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Try a search, the R53 versus R56 topic has been done to death...

3. The exhaust pops but the car is overall less noiser than the R53. The JCW tuning kit improves things so does an aftermarket or DIY air filter that adds a little turbo whine and blow off valve noise.

4. The Tuning Kit is more than the sum of its part on paper. For just over £1k its a good option on a new car to maintain the warranty. The factory JCW will be a little better still but more cash.

5. There'a few remap, exhausts and intercoolers etc, Alta probably has the most bolt on parts.

In short I chose the R56 with JCW Tuning kit as I wanted a fairly refined and quick car. As your thinking of a GP it may not be for you, but you could likely get close to the spirit of the GP with the JCW suspension kit and a few aftermarket mods to improve the noise a little.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
thanks for the idle tucker martin .

balls to it all ,GP for me .
Even if it is older in a few years time, its one you won't want to get rid of, ever;)

You won't regret it:D

Although I have now found something that gives me just as much fun as the GP this weekend and we brought it:D

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,165 Posts
Did you go for it in the end?

Tigger.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If your heart rules your head then get a GP .....
But in my world my head ruled my heart so I got a R56

Yes, the R56 has lost a little bit of character, but it makes up for it in the day to day driving.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I was never sure about the R56 until a couple of weeks ago....

I had an R53 S with the usual mods, pulley, filter, eibachs etc. Was an absolute scream all of the time, an amazing car...
Swapped it in for an R56 S in March 07 and always felt that it was more of a dull everyday drive in comparison. MINI bought that S back off me after so many problems and got a replacment R56 S in June 08.
We went on the Lancashire Lanes run a few weeks ago and I was amazed by how good the car actually is in terms of handling, brakes and power delivery in comparison to the R53 S. It felt like a real drivers car, it almost felt like it transformed from an everyday car into something else!

I had almost started to regret selling my R53, but this 08 spec R56 is certainly in the same league if not above!
It has the JCW R105 alloys with the KDS running Michelin Pilot Sport tyres and also DSC (which is amazing in the wet)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts