MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, having owned three original minis many years ago, I finally took the plunge and bought a late 2006 cooper s Turbo.Very different, much faster ,more comfortable and a whole lot more to go pear shaped . Car has genuine 63k on the clock and plenty of history, but is not without problems. However, I got it for a good price, so I’m happy to spend the time and dosh to get it running right.
One annoying fault is the cooling fan which runs when I switch the ignition on, even though the engine isn’t running, also the car runs rough when cold ( goes like stink when it’s warmed up) I think the two things are related, and have ordered a new themostat (plus sensors )which I suspect is faulty. I’ll update after I fit it.
Any thoughts on this problem? Any advice gratefully received.

· Registered
189 Posts
Those things all do sound like they add up to the ECU thinking everything is a lot hotter than reality. If the ECU thinks everything is stinking hot it will be running lean all the time until well warmed up.

Do you have a fault code reader? Even the cheapest ones will let you view live data from the engine coolant and intake temp sensors.

I presume also that the fan runs continuously once the engine is started, regardless of temperature?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.