MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Appearantly in an attempt to achieve stupidity of the year award I overfilled the oil level to twice the manufacturer specs and drove for a req weeks thinking it was catostrophic. Today dropped all the oil and put in Castrol 5w 30 with a Dramatic change in driveability but the engine light still coming on. .my question is what is the potential damage I've done and is there any proactive steps I should take .thanks

·
Registered
12,728 Posts
cat and 02 sensors will be damaged for sure might come back after a long run maybe stick a can of cataclean in 1/4 tank of fuel, then take for 3000 revs good hour run somewhere to push heat in the cat and 02 sensors ,, this all said oil kills them off normally, would also before trying this get can scanned see what that code is for if its cat and 02 sensor related then the above might work, these engine from dry hold 4.2L of oil my view dont hold enough oil for a engine that gets so hot in my view, little tip when dipping oil i do them cold as oil sticks to dipstick better, i use a piece of tissue and place the end of wet dipstick on it and then see where it changes from wet oil to dry and at that point is correct level, MUST ONLY CHECK OIL ON LEVEL GROUND,

·
Registered
Mini Cooper S 2004 54 plate, F56 Cooper S 64 plate.
140 Posts
Were you not leaving clouds of smoke behind you?

A friend had this happen after a garage service recently "the apprentice put in twice as much oil sir ....".

Once the oil was drained and refilled to the correct level it was fine, no damage done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts