MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to confirm the brochure states all the functions of the on-board computer. If so, it's not worth my dough. Previous posts seem to confirm, but I don't know if there were any changes for '05. Your confirmation appreciated!

The MINI brochure says it covers average speed, range, fuel consumption, and outside temp. My understanding is the stock MINI shows the temp without needing the onboard computer, correct? So are the other three options the only things offered?

On my Passat’s trip computer, it shows distance traveled, time traveled, current MPG, avg MPG, and average speed. And outside temp. It resets itself after 2 hours or so of not driving. So it’s nice because when you jump in your car and go somewhere (given you haven't driven for 2+hours), when you arrive you know exactly how far you drove. Does the MINI’s do this? I find that's the most valuable part of my Passat's trip computer, and if the MINI doesn't do it, then I don't need it.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
I believe you can switch between a temperature and speed readout on the stock tach.

The OBC on my 2002 "S" adds 3 functions ... range, average speed and fuel consumption ... to the standard temperature readout.

The MPG figure is 10-15% over-optimistic on my OBC. Sorry I ordered this option :(

·
2003 PS MCS
137 Posts
LagunaSol said:
But outside temp is standard on the MCSC, for example, without getting the OBC, correct?
I believe it is and I've also been led to believe that the OBC is actually there and all you need to do is install a pushbutton to cycle through the displays, which is all the installed OBC option really gives you though perhaps a software update is also required?

I've not been able to determine anything definate on this, can anyone else shed some light?

J\

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
The MINI's computer definetly is not a 'trip computer' like on your passat. There's absolutely no counting of time elapsed or milage elapsed, beyond the single trip odometer (which idiocally is in the same spot as the time, so you have to choose which you want displayed).

The OBC is retrofittable as you mentioned at last check (never know with things changing constantly), but it also requires dealer programming, so its not like a $20 fix, if you want it though, it is doable, your dealer should know about it, and even be able to quote you a full install, though you can save some of the labor of the actual install and just pay for their programming.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Not hard data, but my feelings on the OBC:

At first, I like playing around with it and keeping track of things. Being an engineer, it seems like a great geek toy and a great way to quantify the real world.

Then I realized that it's a bit off--the MPG figure does not add up, and, after doing the math, it appears that the average speed does not either. So, I don't trust it (scary, when you think of how many electronics are in this car...).

Then I moved onto the "final" stage, where I realized that the great appeal of an MC or MCS is not trying to divide it up into bits and bytes and measure it, but to _experience_ it--through the feel of the steering wheel, the sound of the engine, the lateral G forces, the grip of the tires on the road. I find myself not looking at the readout anymore--because I'm DRIVING the car.

So, on the next MCS I will not put out the $$ for the OBC, but I'd take it if it was standard/no cost.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
It comes with the premium pack, which many people get. If you get it that way its worth it, otherwise, its not.

The temp is accurate though, which you don't pay extra for. go figure. I think the range is reasonably accurate, though some people have had like 5 miles left and been out of gas, but that's really their own fault for pushing it so close. 5 miles out of 400 on a tank isn't bad for accuracy.

·
Registered
888 Posts
OBC Now also includes Instant Speed (very handy!) and instant MPG (not so handy).

So its:-

Temp, Range, Av MPG, Inst MPG, Av Speed, Inst Speed in that order (I think). I really like it - the range function is useful too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts