MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what functions does the OBC have ?
Since the display is in the rev counter it would be useful if it had a digital speedo showing.
Are most people ordering this option?

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Shay said:
Does anybody know what functions does the OBC have ?
Since the display is in the rev counter it would be useful if it had a digital speedo showing.
Are most people ordering this option?
some buggers run off with my MINI folder......:rolleyes:

but for the benefit of Australian visitors the OBC is standard kit on the Cooper and Cooper S in Oz.

If you don't want to wait try putting "on board computer" in the search engine. I'm sure this would have been raised many times before.

cheers

:)

·
M2 Bapmaster
3,138 Posts
It has
Fuel range (how far you can go until empty)
Average MPG or the metric version (possibly KM's per litre)
Average speed
Temperature.

·
Registered
573 Posts
You get the temperature anyway, it comes as standard.

I have decided against OBC, cos I reckon I would be looking at my MPG far too much, and getting depressed, also, I wont be letting it get too low on petrol!

Andy

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
So you get the little screen and outside temperature reading anyway? Fab. I didn't get the OBC because that would delay the car from May to September. If you're telling me I get the screen and the temp anyways, you've made me really happy.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Cool, because my brochure has a picture of the rev counter, without a display in it. Just has RPM x 1000 written there.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have the OBC and whilst it's not necessary the MPG is't depressing (the average speed is though :eek: ) and I find the range function really useful as the fuel guage is so vague.

·
M2 Bapmaster
3,138 Posts
Mr Cooper,
I have to agree with you the range function is really useful, especially as if I filled up every time the little red light comes on I'd be filling up 70-80 miles before I had to.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Okay, but I've been told that it is GOOD to keep your fuel tank reasonably full.

In the winter, a full tank is less suceptable to moisture condensation, and ultimately water in your fuel tank leads to rust, which leads to debris in the tank and ultimately tank failure.

Not running until your empty on an older car can also prevent your fuel system from drawing sediment in the bottom of the tank.

A reasonably full tank (1/4) provides adequate cooling for the fuel pump.

Some or all of this may not apply to the MINI, who knows what plastic tanks, vapour recovery systems, fancy fuel filtres, water absorbing materials and combination supply/pressure fuel pumps it may or may not have.

But, at the very least, a full tank cannot harm your car anymore than the few extra pounds of gas.

Back to the original thread. A range meter is neat, but I don't think I would use it after the novelty wore off. If I get the display on my tach at all, without purchasing the OBC, then it's a bonus.

Also, does the MINI bundled w/o the OBC still get a trip odometer?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
The only reason im getting the OB is because its only £100, its a gadget & i'll probably want it if I didnt opt for it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Also, does the MINI bundled w/o the OBC still get a trip odometer?
Yes, its part of the readout on the speedo.

Smiffy, I agree, the fact that it's a gadget is the best reason to get one! :p :p :p

·
MINI2 Crash Test Driver
1,386 Posts
Exactly, when I saw 'on board computer' I added it to my spec list straight away. Didn't have a clue what it did, but it couldn't be all bad, after asking my dealer, it turned out it would be pretty cool! :eek:)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
i got it cause my mum has one on her Yaris.

The mini one though IMO is very poor and not worth the £100

You do not get a average / current MPG, and have to reset it after each trip otherwise its just ongoing.

Still, im a gadget freak and would probably moan if I didnt have it

·
Registered
25 Posts
the obc is standard on the Cooper here in NL. It is real handy especially for convincing the girlfriend about how much further you can drive til the next tank, it avoids those panic "we must get to the fuel station, there is only a quarter left" situations:D

·
MINI2 Seniour
47 Posts
Retrofitted an OBC according to the D.I.Y. section (http://www.mini2.com/pdf/onboard_computer.pdf). Used the described low cost approach (3 € material cost) described there.

Took me about 3 hrs to explore where to put the push button and to fit everything (finally I did it just as described in the above mentioned document. The location besides the mirror control knob needs the least effort).

My dealer activated the OBC software for free. Even if it is not extremely useful it was a cheap extra gadget ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts