MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way to work this morning I pulled out of a parking lot and got down the road a bit and really got on it pretty hard accel. I would say in the 6000's. I went to put it in 2nd and had what I can only describe as a power loss for a split second rev's dropped and then kept on going. I have none of the classic problems, so I am curious.... Is this the DSC kicking in? I hope so. I can't recall if a light came on. I experienced this in my BMW occasionally and was wondering if it was the same thing.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Did you hit the rev limiter? If you I've heard if you redline, a safety feature will kick in ... redline is around 6700...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmm good thought.... Thanks for the response.
Is it set at 6700? I don't think I was near there.

Maybe though.
I tried to recreate the issue, but mostly it just barks the tires going to 2nd :D

Heh Heh.....

·
Registered
314 Posts
It's the rev limiter.

I did the same thing at MOT 2004 when my friend Scott was behind me....lucky for me he didn't ram right into me!

I had the music on so loud that I didn't realize just how high I had revved it...I revved it so high that I was jolted forwarded when the rev limiter kicked in.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
since you were in only the 6k range Basil is going to be correct. Traction control kicked in. Depending on how good or not your are at power shifting. the traction control will kick in for 1st to 2nd gear shifts and 2nd to 3rd.. can happen on a Modded mini for 3rd to 4th. the Light itself may or maynot be seen (will only blink once). causing like someone hit the brake for a sec slowing the engine then everything is normal. If it was the rev limiter it would it the brake before you shifted and not return to normal as you stated since it wouldnt be on the limiter by the time you shifted

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
RobHardyUK
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing