MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am i to understand that we are expected to chose the color of our MINI based on brochures or internet photos ?
as a photographer, i know better than to believe the color accuracy of advertising photographs.... as a consumer, i cant imagine buying my car based on a color chip. am i missing something???

·
MINI2 prodigal son
2,686 Posts
Take a chill pill, minigal B). Why do you feel forced to choose your colour now?

Here in UK, we may make changes to the spec of MINI up to about a month before its delivery. You too will have plenty of opportunity to see different coloured MINIs in the flesh before you\'re obliged to make your colour choice a firm one.

My dealer tells me people have no trouble deciding which MINI they want, with which options, and find it easy to choose the colour. Then they change their mind when they see another colour. Then they change their minds again. It\'s natural; it\'s the way of MINI.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I\'d have to agree, I have a Cooper in Yellow/black arriving sometime this weekend and I have no idead what it will look like. The dealer still hasn\'t seen a yellow one and I haven\'t seen aby about. I really hope its not some girly pastel, Lupo shit colour!!
Any one got any pictures of a yellow one somewhere?

·
Registered
73 Posts
On 05-10-2001 14:17 Varse wrote:
I\'d have to agree, I have a Cooper in Yellow/black arriving sometime this weekend and I have no idead what it will look like. The dealer still hasn\'t seen a yellow one and I haven\'t seen aby about. I really hope its not some girly pastel, Lupo shit colour!!
Any one got any pictures of a yellow one somewhere?

Erm, I have a yellow/white MINI and everyone who\'s seen it in the flesh love the color. I must admit though that it is a bit lighter (i.e. girly pastel) than what I\'d expected but ultimately is better for it in the overall combination. I was a bit dubious about my colour selection before it arrived but now I love it. As a final selfish point, I recommend that you don\'t get a yellow car that way mine will be more unique :)

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I have to agree that the yellow is alot lighter when you see it for real. Myself personnally have opted for silver as I feel silver allows you to see the lines of the car & not just a bright in your face colour hiding a beautifully designed car!
PURE SILVER is the colour to go for, as it will always be very easy to sell on (I wont be selling mine 8D 8D) & i think that all these colours like yellow & bright green are fashion colours, they look OK now but how will they look in 5 or more years & many miles down the road :?

·
Registered
73 Posts
On 05-10-2001 15:30 smiffy wrote:
I have to agree that the yellow is alot lighter when you see it for real. Myself personnally have opted for silver as I feel silver allows you to see the lines of the car & not just a bright in your face colour hiding a beautifully designed car!
PURE SILVER is the colour to go for, as it will always be very easy to sell on (I wont be selling mine 8D 8D) & i think that all these colours like yellow & bright green are fashion colours, they look OK now but how will they look in 5 or more years & many miles down the road :?
I agree that silver is a great colour on the new MINI, it has that classic James Bond old Aston Martin look. With me particularly, I just got rid of a silver metallic car so I really wanted a different coloured car. I don\'t think that yellow particularly hides the design details though... it does get dirty easily though!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pardon me bad manners.......your dealer tells you?
from what i have read on this forum, dealers dont seem to be the best informed or resourceful people.
as expressed by others, the reality seems to be one picks a color sight unseen and hopes to like it when the car shows up.
wanting heated seats or not is a simple enough decision to make as are most options. chosing the color however seems to be a blind decision and i feel it is unfair from the manufacturer to require the customer to make such a blind decision.
i went to london this summer for the exact purpose of seeing the different colors. all i saw was red, blue and grey, none of which are my color of choice. i did love the car though but i disliked very much the plastic interior.
lets hope for upgrades by the time MINI hits our shore...

·
Registered
374 Posts
As I have posted before, I believe the Mini looks good in most colours. I would prefer a \"signal\" yellow rather than the semi-pastel shade, but I\'m not brave enough to buy a yellow car.

As to yellow being just a fashion - silver is the fashion, not yellow!!. Just look around at how many silver cars there are. It is \"sensible\" enough to sell on, but I doubt it will be so popular in a few years time and there will be a lot of silver cars for sale. Indeed, black already seems to be replacing silver as the fashion at the moment.

·
MINI2 prodigal son
2,686 Posts
On 05-10-2001 17:04 minigal wrote:
pardon me bad manners.......your dealer tells you?

from what i have read on this forum, dealers dont seem to be the best informed or resourceful people.
Please don\'t knock my UK dealer. You haven\'t met him nor placed business with him. If he tells me something insightful based on his experience, then I find that valuable. We can chat here about the merits and demerits of options and colours, but please don\'t pick on an honest quote of a dealer making his own candid observation.
i went to london this summer for the exact purpose of seeing the different colors. all i saw was red, blue and grey, none of which are my color of choice.
If I\'m not mistaken, Canada\'s first MINIs will be staggered behind UK\'s. How much ahead of having to make your final decision over the choice of colour do you feel you need to make that decision? I had plenty of time to make up my mind, with examples of MINIs in different colours; you will too. Be patient, good things will come.
i did love the car though but i disliked very much the plastic interior.
lets hope for upgrades by the time MINI hits our shore...
BMW has spent much time on the interior, finding plastics of many different textures, and paying attention to detail including the aromatic qualities of the materials used. I haven\'t heard one MINI owner complain about the quality of the plastics in the dash or console. Ya pays yer money, Ya makes yer choice.

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
The best colour to have is chilli red with the red interior it looks fantastic the red door panels, the red cloth and leather seats, the rear seats covered in red cloth and leather it all matches perfectly with the silver trim. I wont go any further,

But there is\'nt a bad colour in the MINI range its all a matter of personal choice and taste.

8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D

·
MINI2 prodigal son
2,686 Posts
On 05-10-2001 20:23 dinger wrote:
The best colour to have is chilli red with the red interior it looks fantastic the red door panels, the red cloth and leather seats, the rear seats covered in red cloth and leather it all matches perfectly with the silver trim. I wont go any further,
Does your taste include Union Jack decals on the roof, dinger?
But there is\'nt a bad colour in the MINI range its all a matter of personal choice and taste.
This is true. Some people feel they have to see all the colours in the flesh perhaps 6 months before MINI is available for delivery in their country, when my experience is of being able to change my mind up to a month before delivery.

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
Hi BadManners

I\'m not that bold.

Sorry I got carried away as I\'ve only driven MINIAD once and that was only to sainsburys 7 miles away,still my turn,my turn,my turn now the weekend is here here.whoopie,hoorah

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

Ps chilli red is still the best choice

·
Registered
113 Posts
I placed my order 2 days before the UK launch.

I felt I had plenty of time to see MINI\'s of all colours on TV, in the press, on the Internet and in the flesh before I had to make my final choice. As it turns out - I did not change my mind and stuck with Indi Blue.

Im sure everyone is in the same boat - whether buying MINI or any other car.

I dont know of any other solution? - suggestions anyone?

Dave

·
MINI2 prodigal son
2,686 Posts
On 06-10-2001 11:13 baldie wrote:
I placed my order 2 days before the UK launch.

I felt I had plenty of time to see MINI\'s of all colours on TV, in the press, on the Internet and in the flesh before I had to make my final choice. As it turns out - I did not change my mind and stuck with Indi Blue.

Im sure everyone is in the same boat - whether buying MINI or any other car.

I dont know of any other solution? - suggestions anyone?
I stuck with my first choice too. It\'s true that I chose my colour combo after having seen that particular one in the flesh. It\'s also true that a part of me would liked to have chosen a black roof and sunroof, but I\'ve now got plans for the white roof that wouldn\'t have worked with black nor a sunroof. (I\'m sure you can guess what I have in mind). There are so many good combinations; there\'s no one right one.

With MINI One offered in eight colours and MINI Cooper offered in fourteen colour combinations - and that\'s not counting silver vs white wheels of different styles - you can\'t expect a dealer to have all the possibilities available in his demo fleet. Some of the photos are taken in the studio, some are taken in the Mediterranean sun - both of which will bring different qualities to the colours you see on the printed page or on your computer screen. Even the type of film used by the photographer can take its effect on colour saturation.

Practically though, you don\'t have to choose colours from the book, because the dealers have 3D colour swatch panels sprayed with real paint. These have flat and curved surfaces, are displayed on a board but can be taken off their rack to try outside in the natural sunshine.

·
In exile, down SOUTH!
13,201 Posts
Anyone else for Chili Red with yellow roof? I hope mine will be the only one it this combination.

The wing mirrors will be black and the alloys stay silver. Not quite a true Noddy car, but close enough.

Buying a new car is like buying a new house off plan, but a lot less stressful I can assure you.

Be bold, be brave and have some fun with colours. If I could have any colours I like, then the car would be fuschia body with lime green roof (sorry dinger, another sick bag combo for you no doubt).

By the way, I am getting a bicycle with yellow main frame with red extremities to match the car! B)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
OK...so here\'s my thoughts for what they\'re worth...

when you\'re in the car and enjoying the drive you can see very little of the exterior of the car - you\'re meant to be looking at the road after all...

The \'plasticy\' interior, to me at least is no more plasticy than any other car I\'ve driven (which is pretty much every marque going) - it\'s the design of this plastic that sets it apart.

I chose a Yellow ONE based on a foot square coloured peice of metal and had no idea what my £11.5K choice would look like until 6 months later (yesterday).

In the unlikely event that it was soooo hideous that I couldn\'t bear it, there are thousands of people in the UK that would gladly have taken it off my hands at the price I paid for it...a real bummer for me, yes...but not the end of the world by any means.

As Bad Manners says, there\'ll be plenty of time to see the colours in the flesh or on TV to give you a better idea and as someone else mentioned, BMW will no doubt muck about with the colour combos until the last minute anyway so you may as well relax until then!! |o

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
On 06-10-2001 23:46 dcfkan wrote:
Anyone else for Chili Red with yellow roof? I hope mine will be the only one it this combination.

By the way, I am getting a bicycle with yellow main frame with red extremities to match the car! B)
..and you though you had problems Minigal ! ;)

Seriously though, I suspect this will be the most striking MINI yet! Can\'t wait to see it at a MINImeet..:)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
On 07-10-2001 0:46 dcfkan wrote:
I love to see pictures of it. Reminds me of the color scheme of the first Dodge Vipers. Red body wth yellow badging and yellow wheels. These Vipers were said to be \"Ketchup and Mustard\" colored! :)

·
MINI2 prodigal son
2,686 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, McDs were running a 102 Dalmations promotion on their tray liners, with a spotty-roofed and spotty-mirrored MINI Cooper offered as the prize :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts