MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm getting my MCS upgraded to around 200hp next month with reduced pulley and spark plugs etc. At the same time I was thinking about getting the one-ball exhaust mod done with the gtt re-route pipe and matching gtt tips. my question is - will this make much of a difference to the exhaust loudness and grunt? Does it sound much quiter than the Milltek? Would I be much better off just getting the Milltek cat back system?

Cheers

·
Registered
623 Posts
Manifold upgrade will reep the most benefits power wise, but its always nice to have a nice sounding and looking exhaust.

I had the GTT tips, and hated them. I was the first to have them fitted, I hated the fact you could see the clamps from behind the car, you could see the stock exhaust inside and that they were pointing to the floor, although Roland maybe have improved them. Its worth asking.

Lots of people are having problems with their Millteks too, but saying that, they are the most popular exhaust on the market so you will always get a few faulty.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have the one-ball (GTT Re-route pipe) + Janspeed manifold + BMW uprated tips ; sound and appearance is spot on ;)

BMW uprated are worth searching for, I think they are a BMW part

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
Reroute pipe is ace - great popping noises
Don't bother with the tips - don't fit well & made a friends exhaust sound terrible !!! but as you have to cut the exhaust to fit them he couldn't go back so had to buy a new exhaust.
I sold mine after seeing them fitted on a nother car

·
Registered
544 Posts
Reroute pipe is ace - great popping noises
Don't bother with the tips - don't fit well & made a friends exhaust sound terrible !!! but as you have to cut the exhaust to fit them he couldn't go back so had to buy a new exhaust.
I sold mine after seeing them fitted on a nother car
Just to clarify; BMW tips do not need any cutting you simply undo the old ones and replace with the new ones ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if i can get a second hand mlltek cat back for around the same price as re route pipe and tips, then should i just get the milltek?

what problems are people having with milltek exhausts?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
We have seen 3 now with cracks in them, I have just replaced another today.

We have had no problems with the playmini exhausts and they are cheaper than Milltek!

·
SUPERcharged
343 Posts
I'm getting the re-route fitted on monday. I also have optional oem tips from America. I can video it once they are on if you want

·
SUPERcharged
343 Posts
My car sounds like the exhaust below at the moment, and mine hasn't got the re-route!

I'm looking forward to the re-route on!

·
R53 Cooper S Owner
384 Posts
I like the look of the standard tips so im tempted to get this mod done, I cant view the vids at work so im going to have to wait and watch them when I get home, which will hopefully make my mind up. Im also got a minimania cai to fit this week

·
Trailer Trash
202 Posts
The retrofit MINI exhaust tips are designed for use with the aero kit rear bumper. The tips will protrude from a standard rear bumper and look out of place.

Milltek materials and workmanship are poor, I’ve had three defective headers and one cat back out of the box, and another failed cat back in less than a year’s use. Another club member’s resonator failed in a few weeks. Nice sound and free flowing design however.

·
a.k.a. BrainRush
160 Posts
Any note on dB levels with the one-ball vs. standard exhaust? In California we've got noise restrictions to adhere to, this means if the exhaust is too loud, you can be given a fix-it ticket. A hassle but not the end of the world if you swap between two exhaust systems, but a real pain if fixing it requires to buy a new OEM exhaust.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts