MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son would like to make me a custom shift knob. He is an accomplished glass blower and will make it from glass or Pyrex with the car's colors swirling (LY/B).

Can anyone help with sourcing or speccing the black plastic insert that is in my standard '03 MCS knob? I wonder...someone posted somewhere that MOMO sells various sleeves with properly spaced slots for the gear shift shaft top. Is this true?

At any rate, any help with sources or measurements would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sorry, I'm a doctor and saw the title of this thread and thought I might be able to help. I seem to have got the wrong end of the stick. Or knob.

·
Registered
400 Posts
if it looks as good as it sounds then any chance he can make a hot orange and black one and get it over to the UK? PLEASE!!

·
Domestic Motor Pool Chief
1,150 Posts
Maybe you could buy someone's original equipment knob and dissect it with a dremel. There must be a bunch available from Whalen owners.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Or, you could contact Doug Whalen about mounting one of his quick release units in the knob.
Presonally I'd rather see a nice clean bit of stainless than some black plastic in a nice piece like that.
Definitely post pics.
Very cool idea.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to see you, Obie. Doug is tops. He already contacted me, sent pictures, and the wayward son will be sending him some pyrex 'marbles' to play with. We are convinced that this can work since Doug has the ability to keep the ball motionless while drilling and the kid says Pyrex does drill.
When can I start hounding you about MoT, 05? Your brother says, "He never writes, he never calls." ;)

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
jcsinnh said:
Good to see you, Obie. Doug is tops. He already contacted me, sent pictures, and the wayward son will be sending him some pyrex 'marbles' to play with. We are convinced that this can work since Doug has the ability to keep the ball motionless while drilling and the kid says Pyrex does drill.
When can I start hounding you about MoT, 05? Your brother says, "He never writes, he never calls." ;)
I think you've already started ;) :D
I'm planning a route now.VA to Long Island. LI to Cayuga County, Cayuga to....

Your son doesn't work for Corning does he?

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Attaboy, Obie
No, he works for himself out of a studio in Amherst, MA and a converted small school bus. Please let me know if the itinerary puts you in NH on June 17-18 (or any other time).
I am a stubborn old guy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts