MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I've asked before about the One - Cooper upgrade but I still have some questions.

I'm planning to buy a 2005 onwards one (with german gearbox) because it's been said that they're more efficient and the gearbox is better than the Rover one (2002 - 2005). Is that actually true?

And about the remap, does it require some new parts or is it just a software matter?
Finally, has anyone driven a "real" Cooper and does the virtual Cooper (made from One) feels that way?
I've heard that there is a difference in chassis (Coop is more stiffer, therefor sits better on the road), what about that?

·
Registered
398 Posts
The cooper has a rear anti roll bar, you cant put one on the one unless you change the rear sub frame. Think the springs and dampers are a bit stiffer too, the cooper is also geared for speed rather than economy too.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
A bluefinned ONE will eat a std cooper

Also with the ONE's gearing i think its quicker when you do remap it

As for an anti roll bar and stuff on the back, well i havent had it anywhere near ready to tip over yet and ive had it a year

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
I'm planning to buy a 2005 onwards one (with german gearbox) because it's been said that they're more efficient and the gearbox is better than the Rover one (2002 - 2005). Is that actually true?
I always enjoy this mistake :D The gearbox has a nice comforting German sounding name, but it's actually built in France! Strangely enough, the Midlands gearbox (fitted in the MINI from 2001-2004) was also derived from a French design (Peugeot/Citroen) before the British started to build it!

The "German" gearbox is actually argueably less "efficient", as it increases the overall CO2 output of the car which puts the later MINI into one tax group higher in the UK! Having said that each gearbox has pros and cons; the later gearbox is proving much more durable and is a much better long term bet, though it is heavier to use and often crunches when selecting reverse as their is no syncromesh on reverse! The earlier gearbox is lighter to use, though the action is a little vague, getting worse as the miles increase.

The most important thing about the original gearbox is that it is no longer in production and hasn't been for over 4 years. This means that all replacement 'boxes are refurbs and their reputation is very patchy at best :(

On balance, buy the later car with the "German" gearbox :)

Tigger.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
And about the remap, does it require some new parts or is it just a software matter?
Finally, has anyone driven a "real" Cooper and does the virtual Cooper (made from One) feels that way?
I've heard that there is a difference in chassis (Coop is more stiffer, therefor sits better on the road), what about that?
It is purely software and it's very very easy to increase the power to about 7 or 8 bhp over the power output of the standard Cooper (incedentally, this is a possibility denied to all R56 One owners as the engines are now a different capacity!)

The Cooper also sits lower to the road and does feel different to drive.

Tigger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone :D

So, it's possible to make One even faster than the Coop?
And about that roll bar, how does it affect the ride? I only hope that the basic one is nimble like the Cooper.
If it's not suitable for high speeds on twisting roads, what's the point then :(

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah a bluefinned ONE has about 8bhp more than a cooper, but of course you can bluefin a cooper n itll have the same so....!!! n really i think that bar makes bugger all difference! if u wanna sharpen up ur steering, keep it stable...get a strutbrace, a cheap as chips one, like a OMP from Lohen, works wonders!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts