MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all Canadians - I'm tired of looking around for local content etc so here goes - just trying to create a local community within this very cool global mini community.

First topic of discussion:
when do these freakin' cars arrive?

Budds tell me I'm number one on the launch edition list (at their dealership). Is anyone else number one? ;)

I was told March 22 for a long time but now I'm told first two weeks of April. Every day of waiting is painful.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
March 22nd was originally the estimated date for the Launch Edition cars. Basically you get to drive one home on the MINI Dealer's Grand Opening.

Perhaps your dealer will not be completed in time for a March 22 launch. MINI will not allow dealers to sell the cars until a distinct and seperate sales environment is completed.

Certainly yours will be the shortest wait. The Launch Edition Coopers will be the first ones out the door. In contrast, Coopers will be a little later, and Cooper S models being the latest, with delivery dates being estimated at around late august to early september. But as this is the quote now, might actually be even later.

We're waiting for a Cooper S, it will surely be a long wait, but we're in the fortunate position of wanting it for the sake of the car, not out of necessity. Out current car will hold out just fine until whenever the MINI arrives. I can hope for sooner than later. I'd love a summer delivery to really enjoy the car, but I'll take it when I get it.

I'm about 21 on the list at Town + Country BMW's MINI Markham, and have been waiting quite some time now. The list includes Cooper and Cooper S's I've been told.

There is actually a lot of Canadian info on this site, just search "canad" and you'll get instances of Canada and Canadian.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey Fellow Ontarioian! Yeah. Noahe and I are in about the same position. We are probably right beside eachother on the list at Town & Country. There is plenty of information on this site about the Canadian facts. From what it looks like, us Canadians are getting the best deal out of everyone I think. We have plenty of standard options which would be pretty expensive options in the states. Xenon's for example.

I am hoping to get my car by the end of october since my current lease on my car runs out Oct 25th and I am in need of a car. I am not sure if they would let me lease the car a month more if I can't get my mini by then.

I was thinking of starting up a miniclub in toronto after the launch date to have people with mini's gather and participate in events and things like track days and such. I am sure we would gather quite a lot of looks with a motorcade of mini's driving down the 401 to shannonville. hhaha. I have a toronto mini club site almost ready to go but I am not too sure if I would want to start it up since Mini2 is perfect already. We could set meets and things on this board.

Let me know what else is going on in your dealership. I know Budd's is already completed and I heard they actually have a car or 2 just under tarps which I am not sure if that is just a rumor. Town and Country is close to being finished. I am sure the date of the launch we will be able to smell the new paint on everything.

Noahe, let me know if you recieve any information regarding special events at T&C. I asked Lindsay if anything was going on and she said not at the moment. The only thing I know if is that velocity event which I hope I win a spot on the guest list!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Another Torontoian...

Hey guys, I'm also promised one of the first batch of launch coopers at Budds...alos being told end of March. This seems screwey to me if the Toronto launch party is 20th March - why have the party if there are no cars to drive away? Sigh...

Also, I'm promised by RBC Insurance that they will have the Cooper on their actuarial database Monday 4th March so quotes can be given then (other insurance companies should also have this data

I'm up for a Toronto/Ontario new mini club & meet in the spring/summer/fall...

Cheers...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Insurance Rating.

nwoodiwiss said:
Also, I'm promised by RBC Insurance that they will have the Cooper on their actuarial database Monday 4th March so quotes can be given then (other insurance companies should also have this data.
Great news. I guess the Vehicle Insurance Centre of Canada (VICC) got it together. Last time I enquired, the VICC said they would not have a Canadian Loss Ecperience Automobile Rating (CLEAR) for the MINI in time. Your individual insurance company would have to make up their own. That usually means wild estimates for them, "Supercharged?, Small?, Fast?" they'll give this thing a rating like a supercar with the crash and safety rating of a Corvair. High rates for us.

The explanation I got was that the MINI is a new entry. You can't estimate how many the insurance companies will have to lose on them due to theft, damage, personal injury, etc... Even an all-new Civic has a bit of a history to draw from. (No, we don't want the original Mini's record on safety).

Until MINI's in Canada start getting swiped, smashed, bumped and broken in to, or god forbid someone gets hurt or worse in one, there's not a very 'accurate' CLEAR rating.

With only 3000 cars in Canada, I don't like to think that many of my friends on MINI2 are going to comprise the statistics for our loss experience rating.

We'll probably have high insurance. At least I know that I can get an estimate from RBC before my insurance company CGU invents a rating for it using some custom car template.

·
Registered
86 Posts
VICC

Noahe, the VICC should have the quote...I work for RBC and have been using my contacts to wind up the insurance folks...many VPs have been running around (what fun ! ) since I raised the issue...let's see what $ I get quoted...I'll post as soon as I have any data.

Cheers...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Good job Nick. The lady at the VICC I spoke to seemed to be quite ticked off about the matter as soon as I mentioned MINI, even before I started asking questions.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Fellow Ontarian here!

I'm around number 4 or 5 on the list for a Cooper 'S' at my dealership.

I have a question:

Does an alarm come standard on a Canadian model? I've seen no option for an alarm, so I assume (hope) it comes with one.

Anyone?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The launch edition mentions "prewiring for alarm system" whatever that means.

while we're at it - and it seems like I should know this but...

Does the Launch edition come with a spare tire? I know it has 16" run-flat tires.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The sample Launch Edition at the Toronto Autoshow did not have a spare tire, nor the fiddly bits to lock it down, so my guess is no. The run-flats are much better, the car needs the extra stowage space, and quite seriously, with the runflats, if you had the option of driving as is to get the wheel fixed, or changing to an inferior temporary spare, would you even put the spare on?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Time to hear from someone in Ottawa.

I put down a deposit for a Cooper S on 9 Feb. I was told I was 8th on the list and to expect delivery in August or September.

I'm going back to the dealer on the weekend to see if I can find out whe I can spec the car.

It sure would be nice to have it for the summer.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I hope the Candy-Striped MINI isn't up for serious consideration by anyone.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
another thing...

I've not been with mini2 long enough to fully understand but: what are all the references to rejected cars about? I hope all those people in Great Britain who are making reference to their replacement cars are the ones who bought right at the beginning? Were our cars (like the launch edition) manufactured with the good ones or the bad ones? :confused:

they wouldn't dare ship the rejects to the colonies would they?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
My Cooper S is comming!

Got the great call today, my Cooper S will be slated for an April build, with a May delivery.

All the details are covered in another recent post of mine, but I thought Ontarians might be interested. Mine will be in the very firt batch of MINI's. I'm guessing that it'll be about 1 of 8 cars in the GTA, not counting demonstrators.

I didn't need to alter my dream MINI much either... I've now got 2 months to convince myself that Red/White is the ultimate colour combo (how Canadian) and the Trip Computer and Cruise Control weren't important anyways. Other than that, it's everything I wanted.

And I much prefer having my car for Summer, than waiting for two options to become available. Sweet!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: My Cooper S is comming!

noahe said:
Got the great call today, my Cooper S will be slated for an April build, with a May delivery.

And I much prefer having my car for Summer, than waiting for two options to become available. Sweet!
Great News! now those of us with the Launch edition have about a month to feel smug and superior for having the coolest car around. Come April we will only have the second coolest car around. You could be more considerate and wait until November '02. ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Originally posted by Noahe: Got the great call today, my Cooper S will be slated for an April build, with a May delivery.
I was at my BMW dealer yesterday and spoke to their new dedicated MINI sales rep. He said I "could" spec my Cooper S now but that the order wouldn't be going anywhere until 22 March when their showroom opens. I want to wait until I can at least see the colours in person though.

The dealer did not know or say anything about options not being available outside the special packages. He is headed to Toronto on the 18th for the dealer MINI introduction.

Makes you wonder if the dealers are all playing by the same set of rules.:(

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
MINI's sighting.

Okay, this isn't so important now, since we know 102.1 the Edge has a MINI parked outside their studios at the Eaton Centre, everyone at Velocity saw the 8 or so MINI's, and various MINI's have been spotted elsewhere...

I saw a transport truck full of Coopers and S's heading north on the DVP near the Bloor Viaduct at 12:46pm on March 21st. They were all new-looking with the protective pre-delivery plastic on them. I wanted to turn around, but you can't really do that on the DVP easily, and I had to work.

·
Registered
300 Posts
So you decided on a red/white one, eh? :)

What wheels will your's have?

I'm exchanging the X-lites (V-spokes) for white 5-spoked.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I got a call yesterday (21 March) from Matt at Ottawa MINI and I'll be taking a test drive and placing my order for a Cooper S tomorrow!

I was told I'll be able to choose from "all" of the options and that it will be for a June delivery which is much sooner than the Aug-Sep I was told in January.:D :D :D

Now all I have to do is decide on the colour and wheels. I'm leaning towards Dark Silver or Yellow but, having never seen a MINI before, I'll decide based on what's in the showroom.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts