MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just want to see if this is normal.

Went to look at a used 2012 1.6 diesel tonight for sale. When I opened the engine cap there was strong pulses of air, is this something to be worried about!? It has about 100k on the clock.

Thanks, Andy

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gary :) The car is 80 miles away. Think it would be strange/expensive to get the owner to drive it to a mechanic (in his town) and get the compression test done (by a mechanic chosen by me). Or should I just leave this one? Thanks Andy

· Registered
189 Posts
"strong" is of course subjective but if you consider it strong in comparison to other engines then something isn't right. Was the engine up to temperature or was this soon after start-up? If the latter there's potential that the bores would seal as it comes up to temp of course.

Personally I would look for another. There cars are not rare so there's no need to be buying one you're not sure of. I would be surprised if the seller would be willing to have a compression test carried out for you. It's easier for them to just wait for someone who doesn't take the oil cap off.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes of course you're right, 'strong' is very subjective, especially for a nervous novice. I have only watched a few YouTube videos on buying second hands cars to be honest. It just seemed that the pulses were a lot stronger than the videos I had watched. The engine cap was taken off cold and after 10 mins of a test drive.

Yeah I'm sure he doesn't want the inconvenience and is probably safer for me to wait until I've checked some more 'pulses'.

Thanks for your help Gary :)

· Registered
13,636 Posts
be aware on those engines ie its bmw own n47 diesel they have timing chain mounted to rear f engine and its made of thin metal so most common dont make it over 80.000 miles with out snapping and destroying the engine as the diesels do, also the change the chain its engine and gearbox out or just gearbox out, reports to £1800 to do a chain kit, do a search on line bmw n47 engine timing chain problems it stems all way back 2006 to present day in this time they have changed the tensioners a few times and then told people its fixed etc,, the issue is a thin chain this chain has been the same chain from same source all the time ie same part numbers shared with 1,6 and 2.0 n47 diesels, as for blow past they all have crank case pressure on a 100k engine will always be treated as worn, personally would not buy a n47 diesel one find a good cooper s n18 petrol, if really need a diesel then buy a honda civic 1.6 dtec they are epic never go wrong i spent a few years working at honda and really good all round,

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Mike, yeah I'm just going to leave that little mini. Although it was quite fun to drive for a little 1,6 diesel engine. The owners were getting rid only 12 months after buying it at 6k and now trying to flog it for 3.9k, they understand that they overpaid. But I don't know if I would go that route just because 12 months later I wanted a clubman.

Funny the other car yesterday I looked at was an 2010 accord 2.2 dtec full Honda history, just felt like a tank (compared to the mini) and the onboard computer said only 38mpg.

Finally the last one is a 2012 2.2 civic which returns 56mpg, haven't tested this last one and MOT is due.

Just need the car to drive to France ??.

Thanks Mike

· Registered
13,636 Posts
that trouble with the 2.2 dtec around tow get 40 ish on a run at 55mph maybe 60mpg on flat roads at best, they do the latest diesel in the civic 1.6dtec and its a total l peach i know at least 10 that are are well over 130.000 miles and and have serviced them from 5 years old ish and just keep going never see them for repairs just service work, my daughter has a 2018 one and she abuses it to hell and it still does over 65mpg etc, i was a bmw man for years worked for a couple of bmw garages years a go always bought bmw as thier diesels were the best around until the n47 diesels were designed with chains at rear of engine, i had a brand new one when they first came out 2007 320d m series it never got to 70.000 miles before chain snapped that car was 6k oil changes as i pay nothing for oil and and filters are cheap trade price,, just out of bmw warranty it went bmw basically told me like everyone else to jog on and came up with excuse after excuse,, when i pulled the motor found the damage was beyond belief piston with holes in them head had two valves snapped off and pushed in the head so useless even the two of the bores were damaged engine totally nailed, back then latest bmw diesel engines were rare if any good £2000 for engine then another £500 for new chain kit as only a fool would fit one without new chain kit even with 50k on it,, a few years later the bbc watch dog program named and shamed bmw for these chain etc, some car had not made it to 40k,, i.ve since changed a fair few of these chains for people and have stopped doing so as the amount of time it takes and labour involved is massive.
also in the uk or EU the emissions and pollution rants and the end of life is here because of diesels is really got going, and add this country at present is being run by people who dont live in the real world and make choices without really thinking it out before hand leaves owning a expensive diesel car at the point they really get going could lose a lot of money,,,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.